Nextcloud Talk Windows Desktop Client

Anbox does not work on all distros

same here - a Talk desktop client is missing in a situation when the sync desktop client is enough, and a web access is excessive or restricted.

1 Like

Ok I have started a bounty! (some time you have to put your money where your mouth is)

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/61616435-standalone-desktop-app

Anyway the issue was raised on github as well
https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/issues/1100

and I will post the same message about the bounty there as here:

my bounty post is for a cross platform desktop client or alternatively the ability to link up to a cross platform and cross messaging client (such as Franz or similar)

I would prefer the former but would be more than happy with a fully working latterā€¦!

4 Likes

Iā€™m in for a desktop client as well. We have an ancient phone system with a third party addon (esna iLinkPro) thatā€™s such a POS. Weā€™re not moving away from the phone system yet, but I would like my org to adopt a more centralized chat/conference platform. Since the launch of our NextCloud - I have not been able to get users to adopt NCTalk because itā€™s over a browser and requires logins after timing out. It would be nice just like any other chat software to have a desktop client with people readily available for a chat.

A windows desktop client for NC Talk would be great!

1 Like

hello all,

I am not a developer, but and infrastructure admin, and put together some easy steps to build a windows dekstop app. working good for my team.
first this:

then if you want an installer, just use this:

Took me about a day to figure it out.

3 Likes

Hi
you said it took you about a day to figure out, any specific things to watch out for?
any clues or tips?

also has this been sandboxed or tested on where it send info to and from? what are the credentials of appmaker.xyz

I am presuming this is just shrinking and repackaging of a browser (which is fine in a way)?

thanks

Thanks @fsxadmin that has "kicked me into gear, looking at the output from appmaker it looks like it is using:

https://github.com/jiahaog/nativefier or something very similar, with that I was able to generate a file myself. will keep on digging

I have asked the Franz developer to look at this and he said heā€™s pretty sure itā€™s possible and will start the process. I donā€™t know the status currently but I will inquire.

3 Likes

Nice to know, I also asked the Franz developer a few times, but never got a reply at all.

hoping, there is also a bounty available

A good alternative to the standalone solution might be in the form of addon to a mailer, eg Mozilla Thunderbird. Isnā€™t it so difficult to develop it and connect via chat functionality?

In my company we are also stuck with Telegram. Right now I see no way to change it to NC-Talk with the Webbrowser solution.

However we are very happy with NC and donā€™t want to set up a parallel system like Mattermost or whatever.

So the Talk-Desktop-Client would be a huge step forward!

3 Likes

How come there is little reaction to this issue. Nextcloud is such a good platform with different functionality.

With the web interface its possible to integrate new addons - why not have the same for the client.

Nextcloud client
nextcloud client with talk

or even have a separate program for talk. So itā€™s flexible and for different needs.

1 Like

Word up. Totally agree. Open browser does not cut it.

Most messaging apps nowadays offer an Electron version (Rocket, Riot, JitsiMeet etc), I wonder why that would not be doable for Talk ?

Perhaps a list of companies, organizations and persons supporting development of NC should be due? If not somewhere, already. I would love to deal with such companies.

Hi
Iā€™m CEO of a lawyer company based in France.
We use netcloud to share between all collaborators data, adressebook, agends, desks et many others stuff nextcloud provide.
We use whatsapp for our compagny communications between us (itā€™s a shame, iā€™m not the one that decide on this so far)
I want to change or instant message provider wth our own nextcloud server.
Iā€™ve tested nextcloud talk at home, and intercations with all documents, and others could be a really amazing thind.

But thereā€™s is not windows desktop client so far, and thatā€™s what we precisely need.
We could offer some money trough a bounty to developp it, but who to ask ?
thanks.

3 Likes

I think @jospoortvliet can help here.
Maybe send him a private message if Jos doesnā€™t answer here already within the next few hours :slight_smile:

Hi, Iā€™m also eagerly waiting for a desktop version. (Iā€™m in a doctorā€™s office, si privacy is very important).

I might be mistaken, but, could a Progressive Web App be a (the ?) solution ?

It could handle the notifications on any platform and would remove the hassle of developing an app per platform ?

I would really like this feature also.