Nextcloud only syncs one way with Gnome Calendar

I’ve just installed nextcloud on an Ubuntu 16.04 server using the snap package. I now want to sync the nextcloud calendar to my desktop Gnome calendar (running Ubuntu 18.04 on the desktop). I’ve set up the account in my settings and it syncs, but only one way. Meaning; things I put into the agenda in the browser in my nextcloud installation get synced to the Gnome calendar, but things I put into my Gnome calendar aren’t synced to the nextcloud calendar.

Any idea how I can debug this?

[EDIT]

I’ve just installed Davdroid on my Android phone, but that has the same problem: calendar items on nextcloud get synced to my Android phone, but calendar items on my android phone don’t get synced to nextcloud. So theproblem appears to lie in Nextcloud, and not in Gnome Calendar or DavDroid.

Any idea where I could start hunting down this problem?

Logfiles? You nextcloud logfile for obvious error. You can also check the webserver log when you try to create new events on the client, it should show the request and then you can see if it is accepted (code 200) or if it fails…

Thanks for the tip. I tried looking for the logs, but I’m not sure where they are. I looked in /var/log/ but I couldn’t find anything. In the end I used snap logs nextcloud, but that only logs some letsencrypt stuff:

$ snap logs -f -n=2000 nextcloud
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: Cert not yet due for renewal
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: Processing
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: /var/snap/nextcloud/current/certs/certbot/config/renewal/cloud.mydomain.nl.conf
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: The following certs are not due for renewal yet:
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]:   /var/snap/nextcloud/current/certs/certbot/config/live/cloud.mydomain.nl/fullchain.pem (skipped)
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: No renewals were attempted.
2018-04-01T16:17:31Z nextcloud.renew-certs[2109]: No hooks were run.

I googled around to find the location for the logs (also for davdroid and Gnome Calenda) but I couldn’t find anything.

Could you give me another tip on how I could proceed from here?

I quickly installed the Calendar app in Nextcloud, then installed the DavDroid app to test a couple calendars (default and one created in Davdroid). I had no trouble with two way sync between the two. I would suggest double checking that when creating new events on your phone, you have the correct calendar selected. Have you confirmed that is not the problem?

Yes! That was it!

Turns out I had two calendars called “Personal”, one local, and the other one synced. I simply always created items in the wrong calendar, but because they had the same color I didn’t even know they were different ones.

Thanks a million, you really made my day! Now I can finally dump the Google agenda

1 Like