Nextcloud on Ubuntu Server 20.04 (Focal Fossa)

Hey!

If youā€™re not a Linux Sysadmin I recommend to use the VM instead. At least then you know that everything is installed correctly, and the only thing you have to to is to run the first setup.

The scripts work as intended, that I know for a fact as Iā€™m always testing them (every day actually) before release. I also recently (yesterday) did a full installation with all available apps, dockers etc on Digitalocean - everything checked out perfectly.

The scripts supports one Office server at the time, hence the other is removed if you choose to install another option if another already exists. Thatā€™s a feature.

Not installing Imagick is also a feature, which is documented in the prompt of the script, from which Iā€™m sure you got the issue on Github, since itā€™s linked in the prompt.

So all and all:

• Nextcloud requires one domain
  • Collabora another
  • OnlyOffice works without any need for an extra domain.
  • The scripts are smart enough to know which one is which, and automatically de-installs or re-installs based upon your choices.

Its not possible to run the VM on more than two domains, if you donā€™t make your own custom changes - which is possible as well, since the system isnā€™t locked down in any way.

Hope it helps!

If youā€™re not sure about what you should choose, just hit enter and choose the default value. :slight_smile:

Do your research and make your own decision, thatā€™s my recommendation. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to bother you again, unfortunately I have something new, sorry.

When I add external CIFS storage, exit the menu and go back to it later, the CIFS share is shown twice.

The cifs deployment doesnā€™t work either. When I click on it, the following error message appears.

Is there any connection with shared folder?
Because I activated that.

I do not give up :wink:

@szaimen Please have a look :point_up:

When I add external CIFS storage, exit the menu and go back to it later, the CIFS share is shown twice.

This is a known Nextcloud bug. You can safely delete one of them.

The cifs deployment doesnā€™t work either. When I click on it, the following error message appears.

This seems to be a Nextcloud bug as well. But I guess it is because you try to add a network share with a space in it?
I would suggest that you use the built-in apps-script to mount a cifs-share to your VM.

Is there any connection with shared folder?
Because I activated that.

No, that is not related.

I do not give up :wink:

Thats good :+1:

2 Likes

Blockquote This is a known Nextcloud bug. You can safely delete one of them.

Thank you for the information. Yes, thatā€™s right, I can delete one. Still doesnā€™t work after deleting.

Blockquote I would suggest that you use the built-in apps script to deploy a CIFS share on your VM.

It works, perfect, wonderful ā†’ Thank you very much!
Access is faster. I saw the setup menu a thousand times and didnā€™t dare :wink: I only knew the way via the web interface.

The result :wink:

Slowly I bring my NC back into operation ā€¦ Good ā€¦ now I still need the Midnight Commander without damaging the system :slight_smile: and a real VMWare backup (not at file level)

I only need contacts / calendars and pictures (cell phone) for the family. I donā€™t want to be addicted to Google.

Thanks to DH ā†’ Ubuntu 20 works :wink:

1 Like

Thats good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

As a sidenote: you should change the name of the external storage folders (SMB1 and SMB2) to something else, as it was recommended during the setup.

Thanks for great support @szaimen!

1 Like

@enoch85

Hi Daniel,

I want to use the Midnight Commander.
I would do the following:

I make a copy of the source.list:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

Then I add the source ā€œUniverseā€ to the repsitorium.
udo add-apt-repository universe

Reload package sources:
sudo apt-get update

Deploy MC:
sudo apt install mc

With the MC I restore the original ā€œsource.listā€.

Can I do it like this?
Or is it dangerous for your VM?

The VM is basically Ubuntu OS with some tweaks (a lot of them) and an optimized Nextcloud installation. In other words, itā€™s nothing special about it in regards of being a server. You are free to do what you want with it.

If itā€™s safe? I have no opinion in that matter as I know to little about MC, but in general, changing sources.list just adds repos - question is, can you trust the supplier?

I donā€™t think anything but a single command
sudo apt-get install mc
was ever needed to install Midnight Commander on Ubuntu (including 20.04)ā€¦

3 Likes

Man soll angeblich teure ā‚¬ bezahlen zum runterladen?

No, the 40 GB version is free. :slight_smile:

@Faulpelz How is your VM doing? :smiley:

Hello Henry,

Thanks for the tip! It worked perfectly with your command. I didnā€™t have to edit the source.list. Ubuntu 20.04 will most likely have this on board automatically.

Hello Frank,

I donā€™t want to advertise, but from my own experience I can say that the money is very well invested.

If you are not a Linux administrator, you will never be finished so quickly. With everything that goes with it.

1 Like

Thank you!! :rocket::heart_eyes: @Faulpelz

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for asking :wink: My VM is running very well, I am very satisfied. Everything works. I have now installed MC without problems and did not have to change the sources.list.

I have deactivated the automatic Saturday update, I have too much respect for it. I do it manually once a month now that you have published it on your homepage.

For your information. I have also activated NFS and it works. I know itā€™s a security risk, but Iā€™m not a bank and I need my videos. I added the following to the fstab and it works: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/nfsshare /mnt/nfs/video nfs defaults 0 0

I wanted the MC menu in German. I have adapted the language for this:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

After that, the web interface no longer works. I have restored the VM snapshot.

I will test this again in peace.

Now I hope that the NC stays alive for a long time :wink: Before I make any changes, I switch off the server and take a snapshot beforehand.

Hello,

I was finally able to put my bare-metal server online for our association.
I analyze the way it is built and I try to understand how to administer it well (update of the Ubuntu base, Nextcloud and its applications, and docker images which are part of it).

I twice lost the link between Nextcloud and Collabora (.odt files would no longer open, with a connection error message, but why ?), but reinstalling Collabora fixed the problem.

Until this morning, when the ā€œrichdocumentsā€ application went to 3.6.0, and the reinstallation of Collabora could not do anything.

After searching on this forum, I found the solution here
Adding the two lines indicated by ā€˜helgeā€™ and relaunching Apache fixes the problem.

But I realized that, despite the fact that I did an Nextcloud update (at least I thought so) with the script:
sudo bash /var/scripts/update.sh,
I didnā€™t see any changes in this scripts directory, in particular, the menu.sh script is not present, although it seems to be part of the scripts copied during the global installation.
Also, the versions of the scripts on my machine and on the master branch of git are not the same.

Is it possible to update the script directory to stay at the git level, and is there a script to do it?
Would relaunching a full installation do this job without breaking existing configuration items?

PS: I am an old retired IBM AIX sysadmin :wink: and Iā€™m not very comfortable with docker :thinking:

Hi,

update.sh gets the latest nextcloud_update.sh and runs that, but it doesnā€™t download all the latest scripts from Github, New functions and scripts are only released in new versions of Nextcloud, and regarding menu.sh thatā€™s not released until Nextcloud 19 or 18.0.5. You could download it manually though - it will run, and it will work with the current lib.sh file.

Hope it helps!

1 Like