Nextcloud on Hetzner with storage box

Hello, i need your advice and help.
I am new to Nextcloud and Hetzner so please ask me if i am not clear with my post. Thanks in advance!

I have a Nextcloud installed on a Hetzner server with 20Gb drive.
I want to get a storage box and make it my primary data drive.

First question, is that possible?
Second question, how to do it?
Third question, will it impact the speed and functionality of my instance?

Ask Hetzner. They are your provider and it is their job to help you out.

Thanks for the answer!
I asked Hetzner too but i wanted an opinion from Nextcloud since it is the platform i have decided to use, regardless of provider.

In case anyone else ends up here, I managed to do it following this other thread: How to use remote storage as primary storage

@Irdi
Sorry one year ago :wink: But why do you want to use Hetzner Storage Box (WebDAV, sftp, …) and not Hetzner Storage Share (Nextcloud)?

Because of performance and administration it will be better to use only Hetzner Storage Share and not an installed Nextcloud at Hetzner with Hetzner Storage Box. Do you need special Nextcloud features Hetzner does not support ins their Managed Nextcloud?

I would always avoid remote storage as primary or external storage if possible.

1 Like

Thank you for responding to this!

Storage share does give me server access. I solved this couple months ago but i totally forgot of this post.

I just mounted the storage box on my server and configured on fstab and it works great and its cheaper than volumes.

Speed won’t be as fast. In such cases, you want a much faster connection for the storage backend compared to the single user. Backup storage isn’t designed to be very responsive (and able to handle well many small files), if many other users push their backup at the same time, it can slow down your connection.

However, it can be enough for your use case.

1 Like

Exactly, it depends on the usecase but so far it has worked very good with the ammount of users and data i have.

hi,

i am currently also in the process of setting up a Nextcloud server with the Hetzner Storagebox as storage for the data directory. I read a lot of guides that are outdated but this one Ultimate guide to a performant and secure Nextcloud Server is very recent and worked perfectly for me. it features everything you need to know from choosing the right hardware on hetzner to basic security measures to using the storage box as backend, among other options.

1 Like