Nextcloud Office + Collabora CORE - installs, but dysfunctional

My NC install is a 23.0.4, up to date, recently installed and working very well. All checks give green checkmarks, etc, the system has plenty of resources to handle the install (in a VPS) - things look good.

Except I can’t get Nextcloud Office to work. I installed the Collabora CORE, I install the Nextcould Office app and in the settings both the CORE looks good, and the frontend app also says it can talk to said CORE.

In Nextcloud when creating a new file, the Office file options are there, but trying to create a file that way gives an error but creates an empty file (that has the appropriate office icon) that you can’t edit. Trying to edit a pre-existing .odt file causes Nextcloud to download the file, not open it in an Office app.

Am I missing some step here?

Edit: after doing some more searches here I found threads discussing this. I tried going into the Nextcloud Office settings, swapping to “use your own server” (which fails since I haven’t installed a Collabora docker or similar) and then swapping back to the CORE server somehow actually connects the frontend parts with the CORE part so now office documents can be edited. Remains to be seen if this is permanent or has to be repeated down the line I guess.

Hi @KimmoJ,
You are missing the required support template. Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

Please also include your server specs in case you do not meet the minimum requirements for Collabora, which are in addition to Nextcloud itself.

This will give us the technical info and logs needed to help you! Thanks.

1 Like