Nextcloud helps you being GDPR-compliant

I believe the issue is between what the consumer is prepared to pay (perceived price of privacy) and the real price of privacy what Facebook, Google and the likes make their profits off. Once the perceived price is lower than the actual price most are not prepared to spend a couple of dollars/month on a privacy protecting solution and privacy selling business will prevail.

Only when large amounts of people see this there will be viable business to provide services at those price levels. Currently the perceived price is close to zero looking at huge droves who are giving away their privacy for almost nothing.

2 Likes

It is a shame that Nextcloud GmbH itself is not GDPR compliant. For example their privacy policy does not include required details according to GDPR. There is also no process on how to request rectification or a transcript of data according to GDPR. This is very poor of a company that so strongly promotes privacy.

What are you trying to achieve here and with your other comments? Your statements are not supported by facts.
If you do not like the project so please stay away.

I will silence you until next monday and kindly ask you to consider your words carefully in the future.

We need a pleasant, objective manner here. That will help everyone.

4 Likes

GDPR compliance by a non-EU commercial entity is such a can of worms (or minefield, whatever you prefer), it won’t be sorted for years…

Having EU users data stored on EU soil won’t help you.
If the feds come knocking you will provide all the data you have, even on your EU-based servers.
It’s called the CLOUD Act!

3 Likes

I delketed that content because I was posting without full understanding of the topic.

GDPR is a sensitive topic, especially for Europeans.
It is bit similar to talking about “NHS sellout to the US” or “chlorinated chickens in Germany”.
And while it has reasonably well understood rules for European companies, in today’s digital cosmopolitan world it’s barely half the picture…

Here is the simplest way to make your website GDPR compliant: the first time a new user logs in make him/her click through a popup informing the user that all the data will be used at your own discretion… Done! You are GDPR compliant!!

And that’s exactly what Nextcloud is talking about when it claims it helps you.
Just edit the first run wizard PHP file to ask the users to give up their rights, in polite form

You can modify it from time to time and make users accept it again

If you are a multinational and your business model is to collect users data and “sell” them, that’s a different game… But those guys have $100M+ legal departments working on just that…

I don’t care about GDPR. If anyone accesses my site, my private site, it’s bounded to MY rules. Not happy? Sorry, stay away from my private site :wink:

1 Like

Good point…
Make sure your visitors understand this!

If this is not communicated, you put yourself at risk…

1 Like

I agree with you. and what is GDPR?

The basics

What it can trigger

Thank you, I will look into them

So I am in the US, if someone from the EU goes to my website do I need to make it GDPR compliant?

If your site “stores or processes personal information about EU citizens within EU states must comply with the GDPR, even if they do not have a business presence within the EU” - from the linked article above.

That’s the theory…

If you don’t do that, your chance to get in trouble is probably as high as winning the next 6/49.
But at some point EU will make an example out of a foreign company to make the point.
The goal of this legislation is to slow down the FAAGs of this world that happen to be all US companies…

Once again, just ask your visitors to allow you to ignore the GDPR and you’re golden…

1 Like

Ok so I can just have a pop up that says “that this site dose not comply with the GDPR, if you do not agree get lost”?

Correct!

Just make it sound a bit more polite and that’s all you’ll need…

oh ok :grin:

The latest - Brexit - document shows again what politicians know about technology

1K RSA keys and SHA-1 hash algorithms…

Probably originated in a 2008 UK law

:blush:

1 Like

Netscape Communicator 4.x … You made my day :laughing:

2 Likes

Not just the politicians, but also the bureaucrats/civil servants who probably wrote this. The same ones that want to break strong encryption time and again…

Exactly!
If they can’t grasp the difference between Netscape and modern Chrome/Firefox, how can they possibly understand that the encryption genie is out of the bottle, no way to undo that…