Nextcloud for Filelink
“Nextcloud for Filelink” is a Thunderbird extension which makes it easy to send large attachments with Thunderbird by uploading them first to a Nextcloud server and by then inserting the link into the body of your email.
It is currently possible to upload files as large as 1GB.
- Open your Thunderbird, navigate to
Tools -> Add-Ons, choose “Install Add-On From File…” and select the .zip file
- After installation restart Thunderbird
- Make sure that you have checked “Allow users to share via link” in the “Sharing” section of the admin page of your Nextcloud installation. If you also have checked-in the “Enforce password protection” option, make sure to fill “Password for uploaded files” field in next step
- By default your mail attachments will be saved in a folder called
Mail-attachments. You currently need to create that folder
Note: It’s also possible to use a different folder name. Simply type the name of the folder you want to use when setting up the provider in Thunderbird
- Navigate to
Edit -> Preferences -> Attachments
- Choose the
- Click the Add button. The “Set up Filelink” panel will open.
- Select the desired service provider from the drop-down list.
- Select Nextcloud from the list and type in the URL to your server as well as your login and password
Note: If you want to send your email attachments to a different folder, you will have to modify the path given in “Storage path”
Once setup is complete, Thunderbird will always ask you if you want to upload big attachments to Nextcloud.
- Nextcloud: 11.0.2 and newer
- Thunderbird: 17.0 and newer
- It’s not possible to use the same Filelink provider more than once
- You need to create the folder in Nextcloud yourself
- Stats will be wrong if the account’s storage space is unlimited
- You can only create public links
- Public links will always have the same password
- You cannot edit your Filelink account. You have to delete and re-create it if you need a change (password, folder, link password, port, etc.)
Licensed under the GNU AGPL version 3 or any later version