Nextcloud Box Beta image for Raspberry Pi 3

Pi2 is so slow with next cloud, il wont be a pain to discontinue it, nobody will complainā€¦at least myself.

Thank your for your efforts to publish the image

Iā€™m very frustrated also. I purchased a Pi3 last year because Nextcloud was supposed to work by November of 2016. Here we are, end of May 2017 and no support. Pi2 is just too slow, the better option would be Pi3 and oDroid C2, at least as of writing this post. Iā€™m about to give up on this project and purchase a WD My Cloud for a little more than what the next cloud will end up costing me. At least WD My Cloud would work with Ubuntu and is ready to go.

Now I have seen the image for Pi3 in the download page.
Is it fully usable or is it still a beta version ?

Hello, I would like to announce that NextCloudPi has now support for NC12 for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.

Also has some new features.

If interested, you can check the details here

https://ownyourbits.com/2017/05/24/nextcloudpi-gets-automount-backups-nextcloud-online-installation-nextcloud-12-and-more/

For all those who wants Nextcloud on RPi 3 we have developed an image based on the Nextcloud VM. You can download it here: https://www.techandme.se/nextberry-rpi/

Please report issues (if any) to this repo: https://github.com/techandme/NextBerry Thanks!

Will the previous beta (that worked flawlessly on my Pi3, btw) be automatically updated via snap?

Snaps update automatically so I guess, yes.

Shhht: the final RPI3 images are on our download server. Not announced yet but Iā€™m working on that partā€¦ It is simply the newest images in the https://download.nextcloud.com/server/images/ folder - Canonical builds from the 29th of March.

1 Like

Any news on the PI2 version ?

itā€™s also thereā€¦ Can be used to upgrade, too.

Unfortunately, mine did not. Still on

core           16-2          1690  canonical  -
nextcloud      11.0.3snap3   1476  nextcloud  -
pi2-kernel     4.4.0-1030-3  22    canonical  -
snapweb        0.26.1        209   canonical  -
wdl-nextcloud  16.04-0.5-6   9     canonical  -

Am I forced to reinstall or will it update eventually? Thank you for a short update.

just hang on. It will update automatically. They donā€™t all update at the same timeā€¦

Ah ok, I was thinking of version 12. I downloaded ubuntu-core-16-armhf-rpi2-installer-20170329.img and thatā€™s obviously version 11 - I guess itā€™ll auto update to 12 ?

Yes. 12 is not yet available in the Nextcloud Box snap. Coming once 12.0.1 is out, thereā€™s an issue which blocks updating.

Thanks, Iā€™ll look forward to it !

If I order a Nextcloud Box, can I request that the PI3 image to be pre-installed? If not, how do I install the PI3 beta image file? Is there a link that shows noobs like me how to install it?

1 Like

The plan is to offer the Pi3 image by default but I donā€™t know when we will make the transition yet.

Hereā€™s a wiki page on how to flash the image you can download at the link above on the SD card:
https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki/Flashing-an-image

For those still looking and waiting for the initial announcements, we just had a discussion. The plan is to offer the RPI3 image by default, however it will take WDLabs some 2-3 weeks to prepare that (the existing stock has to be modified to include a RPI3 image on a microsd card).

Weā€™ll do the announcement once that all is ready. Meanwhile, the official and final image continues to be available on our download server so you can buy a Nextcloud box and use it with a RPI3 by flashing the SD card as well as upgrade existing installations based on RPI2 by swapping pi and sd card.

2 Likes

I thought I would share my new user experience. Not in any way critical of what has been done. More as end user feedback to product managers.

I ordered a Nextcloud Box on Thursday, and a Pi 3 B for a variety of reasons, including getting away from Dropbox.

What made me press the order button was that it was made by Western Digital, it was low cost, the documentation said it worked with the Pi 3 and was based on Ubuntu Core. All good things.

It arrived on Monday (WD logistics are good in Europe) and I had no problems assembling it using the tool provided.

Inside the box was an SD Card and a little paper label which says ā€˜For Raspberry Pi 2 onlyā€™.

I was a bit disappointed as the nextcloud box website and forums including this post talk about an April 2017 release to manufacturing and it is now July 2017. Anyhow I flashed an SD with image for the Pi 3. (Not all that easy, required an Ubuntu Laptop with an SD Card slot and forum searching - I would say this is an intermediate system admin task).

I rebooted, with a USB keyboard, HDMI Monitor connected and the device came up. I went through the installer and instructions but something odd happened in setting up my Ubuntu One Login SSH keys and try as I might I was unable to ssh to the box. It turns out my ssh key was corrupted but still accepted by Ubuntu One and once set by the Nextcloud box could not be adjusted.

I flashed the SD card again, and this time created a brand new user account on my Ubuntu Laptop and a brand new SSH key which I then set as the key with Ubuntu One. I would say that this activity was of an ā€˜advancedā€™ system admin level. I am still unsure how to grant SSH access to another user, or from my Mac for example.

I could not however login. SSH said the device said it was shutting down. There was no such indication on the console. A good few minutes later it did indeed shut down with the usual visible prompt on the console. Once rebooted SSH finally came to life. This was confusing for me although based on intuition I decided to wait and see if the device would reboot when it looked like SSH was not working. I dont know that many end-users would have.

I installed Lets Encrypt and now find there are various things I am unable to install as they are incompatible with Lets Encrypt. This is a shame because I must use certificates and https as a matter of best practice. Installing Lets Encrypt required SSH access - it would be better in the Web UI Admin.

I am not clear at all how the box keeps up to date, and whether and when the Lets Encrypt certificates will renew. Something to learn.

Finally I was able to set up users and finish the GUI setup in the web browser and this was easy and well thought out although getting email alerts working will prove to be a challenge for me as usual because SMTP relays. I thought this was beginner level system admin and it was easy enough to accomplish.

Overall. The out of box experience seems pretty daunting for a new user. I would suggest you consider getting WD or other hardware partners to provide a complete tested solution rather than a self assembly kit. I spent a good part of a day on it which is not all that economical for my time although I wanted to learn more about Ubuntu Core so theres that.

Overall though it is a good product idea. I will now test it out in my environment over a period of time and am hoping its a keeper.

Angus

Hi Angus,

Good feedback. And yeah, we donā€™t have RPI3 on the sd card yet and - well, some news coming Friday.

The SSH issues I canā€™t speak too - might be flukes, might be some things have to be improved there.

WRT making a works-out-of-the-box solution, we keep looking for a company that is interested in providing that.

1 Like