Nextcloud Box Beta image for Raspberry Pi 3

Testing will have to wait awhile now, as the RPi3 was consistently crashing with temperature warnings. I have ordered a fan and a heatsink.

1 Like

Angus…

Same here, more or less…

WD logistics was fantastic very quick. Same thing with the paper inside saying ‘RPI2 only’. Didn’t give up though and downloaded the RPI3 image from Nextcloud Box image server although I managed to flash the SD card on a Windows box without any trouble.

Nextcloud booted up and everything was fine. However, Letsencrypt didnt work but the biggest issue was SSH. You have to have an Ubuntu One account which is not great…NC 12 is not avaible as a SNAP image :sleepy:

To be honest as an ‘Out of the Box’ experiance it is no way near ready. The build was easy and the box itself is great, initial install is fine but if you want the ‘extras’ it fails which is a great shame as I think the whole idea is brilliant but it really does need to be plug in and go!! but it ain’t…

I found NEXTCLOUDPI which is excellent, everything, but everything is done for you. I used the same box, PI and drive to install it. Love it, its eveything that I hoped the Nextcloud Box was going to be and should be. Auto updates for NC, port forwarding, Letsencrypt everything! Its a no brainer…

No disrepect to Nextcloud Box… Big fan, great idea. I have bought another one with a view to updating it as new images get released just to see how it goes. Also using it as a learning tool to get to know NC. Sadly its a long way off from being a ‘Plug it and and leave it box’.

Del

1 Like

Del,

you nailed it.

it was exactly the same for me (rpi3 + nc-snap) and i had the same thoughts about first setup being not really a no-brainer.
snapshot in general is a great idea! but somehow not really maintained for rp3. at least that was my impression.

and so i switched to nectcloudpi as well. at least @nachoparker is maintaining his baby. and more or less everything works that’s needed for a safe run. plus: he’s working on the rest. (oh and if you’re using a little trick you even are able to ssh your rpi3 out of the box - so no external keyboards and screens needed)

have fun

2 Likes

An update on my testing.

It confused me that the macOS client download on the download link doesn’t work and I had to find a newer beta one that does. I would suggest updating the download link beta or not.

The addition of a fan and heatsink, and a separate Rpi3 power supply for the Rpi3 has made the box entirely reliable. 100% uptime until I moved it to another location. The logs show only a few errors like this one

Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) at /snap/nextcloud/2189/htdocs/lib/private/legacy/image.php#450

It is running 11.0.3 awaiting an update.

I have begun switching over from Dropbox. Keeping backups as I go.

1 Like

Just to check if everyone has read this: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-box-updates-raspberry-pi-3-nextcloud-12-and-looking-for-a-new-provider/

:wink:

How can I properly report that the image for the Raspberry Pi 3 doesn’t work?
I downloaded the image from: Box - Nextcloud (ubuntu-core-16-armhf-rpi3-installer-20170329.img)

Everything appears to work fine, until it displays

Press enter to configure

Press “enter” once or several times: a split-second message appears that reads:

Ubuntu Core
Configure the network and setup an administrator account on this all-snap Ubuntu Core system. [OK]

After showing it for a split second, It then dumps me back to the original screen. I have no real chance to interact with the message at all:

Press enter to configure

If I spam the [Enter] key a bunch of times (about 11 or so reliably), it gets me past the Configure network message and shows:

Network connections
Configure at least the main interface this server will use to receive updates.
eth0 > Will use DHCP for IPv4 (and some extra network info here
wlan0 > No access point configured (and some extra network info here)
[Done]
[Cancel]
[(Status bar completely filled with the color purple and “20%” in white in the middle)]
Additional networking info here

After showing this for a split-second, it again dumps me back to the screen:

Press enter to configure

Has anyone else had this same issue? How did you get past it? If all Rpi3’s are the same, how is it I’m getting a different experience from those who have a working box?

• I have the image on a 32GB SD card.
  • Display is a 1080p HDMI television.

have you plugged your rpi3 in to your wired network, at least for first startup?
have you set-up an account on ubuntu? you’d need both to start the installingprocess as far as i remember.

I re-downloaded and installed the image and reset my environment to be completely fresh - I even wiped the hard drive so that it didn’t have any partitions.
It went through it auto-initialization and everything looks good so far as I watch. It then autorebooted and I had the same problem as before.

Some pictures:
http://imgur.com/3MZfoYd
http://imgur.com/47CTXRK

A video of the problem:

(My wife was in the other room with the Rpi3 awaiting my cue to press enter a bunch of times.)

• Rpi3 is hooked up to a wired network and is getting a reserved DHCP IP address.
  • I have had an account on Ubuntu for quite some time. I just can’t get to the point where an account can be used.

oh.
i can only guess… have you tried a different sd-card? and maybe the problem comes with the powerplug (i once had a bad one and ran into several problems)?

Thanks for chiming in JimmyKater. :slight_smile:

Here is the exact kit I purchased:

This lists the SD card as: 32 GB Micro SD Card (Class 10)
Power Supply: CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter - Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 (UL Listed)

Unfortunately, I do not have any other SD card or power supply. I’ve been using the Raspberry Pi for another project for quite some time now and have had 0 problems, along with rock-solid stability.

However, I did notice that after first boot, the partition layout on the SD card is different than the original image in that it looks like it tries to expand the partition where “/” resides, but it doesn’t max out the SD card and leaves an unpartitioned area.

Does anyone have a confirmed/known good working SD card they might link me to?

Note that the NextcloudBox Pi image on first installation tries to install itself to the attached harddrive (over USB). If there is no hard drive I can image it won’t work. It was made specifically for the Nc Box kit, hence that behavior… The images made by @nachoparker might be a better fit for you.

2 Likes

@Fishscene

i bet this is the solution as i don’t see any external HD provided with your setting.

Let’s close this topic, the announced beta image was already tested and the final version pushed out. Open a new topic to your specific problem/question.

3 Likes