Nextcloud Android client won't auto-upload

It is indeed a problem that exists for years now. After trying various beta releases i’ve stopped using this Nextcloud feature. We use our Synology NAS Moments now. But this app also has to be activated on the mobile device to start the backup process, but not always.
I’ve read multiple contributions on background jobs that do not work for other apps to. The actual app has to be triggered to run. I think that is the same with the NC app.
Perhaps native apps that belong to the producer of device use some kind of backdoor or whitelist to run these background jobs. Since this feature in NC does not work for more then 2 years now, that is what I think. I’d like to know on what devices the behavior of the NC app is tested …

@Hendrik @InsaneJ
The nextcloud apps (desktop, android, iOS) were upgraded
https://nextcloud.com/blog/production-ready-end-to-end-encryption-and-new-user-interface-arrive-with-nextcloud-desktop-client-3-0/

Can you test with the newest apps? If it still not works please open a new thread and post details. Then we can discuss it and open an issue at Github. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @devnull ,
I’m on a xiaomi mi mix 2s with the last app, the auto upload for already present files has worked only for whatsapp directory, only 1 time… Now, the auto upload won’t work, for what’sapp images or whatever. Tried remove cache, reinstall app, uncheck/check the cloud icon to re-enable auto upload, etc… , there is no accessible logs onto the app?

Facing the same issue with latest nextcloud android app v3.13.1

I think the problem has to do with the energy savings in the mobile devices. When I use the Synology Moments app, it will only sync when I open that app on my mobile device (Pixel 4 and earlier Samsung 5).

For an app to run as a background service, it seems that special permissions are needed from the android system. Because this background service can drain the battery, this is in most cases not allowed by the system as a default. What has to be done to bypass this, is not in my knowlegde, but Google should respond to that for their Android systems.

Seems I have this issue on Android too.
Works on IOS.

Issue only exists with non google play app store version …
yawn #MustInstallGooglePlayTrackersToWork