Nextcloud Android client won't auto-upload

I installed the Android client and hooked it to my Nextcloud 10 install. Works great.

Then I tried to turn on auto-uploading of photos. Remote folder is default (/InstantUpload/Camera) and all the checkboxes are unchecked (so it should upload at all times, regardless of data connection or power state).

And, the little cloud is blue, instead of gray with a line. I suppose that means sync is turned on?

Problem is, nothing ever gets uploaded. It thinks everything is sync’d, even though my photos haven’t appeared in my Files or Gallery.

How can I figure out what’s wrong? Do I need to manually create the folder structure?

1 Like

I have the same issue. It worked for me in the older app versions but now it is broken.
In another thread I read that developers of the app don’t look into the forums much and errors should be reported here: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues

EDIT: I tested it again after I restarted my phone yesterday.
I have activated upload only via WLAN.
I take a picture (WLAN running) upload works.
I take a picture (WLAN off) turn on the WLAN and the upload works.
The pictures I’ve made yesterday don’t get uploaded. It seems that older pictures don’t get synced, I don’t know how much time can pass between taking a picture and turning on WLAN.

Interesting, it started working yesterday. My older pictures remain unsync’d, but newer ones are uploading. Dunno what changed!

Thanks for suggesting to go right to the github project. If (when?) it gives me trouble again, I’ll ask there.

I have the same issue , Configure with Auto Upload Only via Wifi using SubFodlers to remote Folder

Auto Upload behave abnormal, i notice 7 pictures has been uploaded but now for the last 2 days nothing has been uploaded, when opening Uploads menu i see alot of pictures in state of “Waiitng to Upload” , so looks that the App Waiting to send thoose pictures

Best regards

Same here, auto-upload not working for month.

Let’s see if 1.5 helps - dunno when we’ll release that. Sorry guys, with all the craze going around here it’s sometimes hard to track forums as well.

I’ll try to be around more often :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, I have the same problem. Is there any update on this?
I have android app version 1.4.3 and most of my files are in “Waiting to upload” state .
I see new pictures are getting upload but the existing ones are just sitting there.

Looking forward your response.

Kind regards

Hi,
Not even new pictures gets uploaded any more! Hmm… strange!
BR

same here. 6P on latest Nougat

I have in general isues with the App if conencted via WiFi. No issues with the App via 3G/4G or if I use the web browser via WiFi.
See also the thread Android app can not connect with the nextcloud server in the wlan

I’m having this problem intermittently, first on my Galaxy S4 and now on my Pixel (Android 7.1.2).

Some of my photos upload automatically, but others get stuck in a “Waiting to upload” state. Nothing I do (toggling WiFi, killing the app, restarting the phone) seems to help.

Any progress on this one? It’s very frustrating.

Same issue here with the latest official client. Auto upload seems to queue the new pictures, but nothing happens, even if all conditions are met (WLAN, charging). In the upload view the picture are marked waiting for upload.
Upload of other pictures work, so it’s not a connection or permission issue.
Mobile: S7 with Android 7

Now I tried the nextcloud-dev client (20170701) and here it seems that the auto upload is working, so here is hope that the next release will fix this annoying bug.

I’m having this issue too. There are numerous issues reported on Github regarding auto upload. Here is one recent issue: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/1137

Same with me. Even when a photo is made while connceted to wifi, it is not uploaded. Sometimes however one or two photos are uploaded. This is when I manualy click the icon to upload.
We use Nexcloud 12.0.0 and last actual android app on Samsung S5 mini.
This problem exists already over a year now. The fact taht some phots are uploaded and somne not makes the use verry triggy.

The issue mentioned here also has a test APK that you can use to help us improve this :wink:

Same here.

Some time ago I pulled all pictures from my phone and compared the list with what was synced to Nextcloud, there were a lot of Pictures missing. This is really not nice because I’d love to feel that my pics are safe in Nextcloud. Also, Sometimes I take picture to attach it to a mail on my computer and the app is just stuck at “Waiting to upload” for ever and I end up having to pull the picture of the phone with a cable.

What would be really nice is a way to re-sync, to do a sort of rsync so you really know everything is on the server. The way it works now, some of the time, is almost as bad as not having the feature at all.

Other than that, I love you guys and I love Nextcloud.

1 Like

Ok. I’ve installed the DEV version.
After install I made a pic. That was uploaded as expected.

BUT after rebooting the phone no pictures where uploaded that I made.

To my supprise those pics where uploaded after activating the nextcloud app on my android device.

So, the pictures upload function only works when the nextcloud app is active ! In my opinion the upload should work always, without having to load the app first.

@Hendrik how long did you wait after the reboot? Due to Android Doze it might take quite a while (~30 minutes!) since Android decides on processing time/power and activates the upload service.

We’re taking about DAYS.
Install was on 21-8. I wanted to show some pics that I made, but nothing was uploaded. But after looking on my phone in the Nextcloud app folder, things seem te be uploaded. After that I could see them on our server and laptops.

The upload service is only activated when the app is loaded, it seems.

Regards, H