Nextcloud and Assanti announce Microsoft Outlook Add-in to secure file sharing by mail

Originally published at: Nextcloud and Assanti announce Microsoft Outlook Add-in to secure file sharing by mail - Nextcloud

thank you pexels
We’re proud to introduce the Nextcloud Secure Sharing Outlook Add-in which enables Nextcloud customers to easily and securely sent files, folders or upload links to others from within Microsoft Outlook. The Add-in can replace attachments, automatically uploading files to Nextcloud and inserting a secure link in the email. It also makes it easy for users to provide others with a secure file upload link.

Keep data secure and optimize costs

Complementing our existing add-in for Calendar and Contacts synchronization with Outlook, the Nextcloud Secure Sharing Outlook Add-in takes away the IT headache caused by risky attachments. Storing and sharing files securely through Nextcloud ensures company policies on data availability, retention and safety can be enforced. This enables system administrators for example to make sure files are run through the virus scanner, certain file types are protected from being shared outside the company or retention policies are followed.

Another significant advantage for IT departments is the savings in storage space for email servers. The add-in negates the need for storing large amounts of attachments in multiple email boxes and decreases network traffic.

[caption id=“attachment_1518” align=“alignright” width=“300”] Plugin configuration[/caption]

Feature overview

The Nextcloud Secure Sharing Outlook Add-in supports:
  • Picking local files and uploading them to Nextcloud
  • Providing a link where recipient can upload files to
  • Customization (via html) of the link insert code
  • Automatic or custom shared link password generation; optional expiry date.

The Nextcloud Secure Sharing Outlook Add-in works with Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Available now

With at a price of USD 5 per user per year with possible volume discounts, the Secure Sharing Outlook Add-in is available to Nextcloud customers. More information can be found on our website.

The plugin was developed by Nextcloud Partner Assanti. Assanti is based in the Netherlands and develops products for the security-sensitive insurance industry.

I wonder if there will be a Testversion available. Would like to test this before we buy.

Sorry to hear, that is is only available for enterprise :cry:

is there any chance this is going to be available as a separate option without an associated support contract?

cheers, wizdude

I would like to be able to buy the plugin, 5 € for each plugin seems an affordable and interesting price, but if I have to be an enterprise partner and pay € 3,000 each year as a little, the truth is that it is very far from my reach
I hope you change your mind and you can buy it as owncloud

I missed this announcement.

Doesn’t hiding functionality behind an enterprise label put Nextcloud on par with the ownCloud model?

I thought the idea was to provide the functionality and charge for support. This contradicts that.

1 Like

It’s really unclear.

Does nextcloud develop this in collaboration with assenti ? Or assenti develop it at 100% and nextcloud make a partnership ?

Where is the code of that plug-in ? Is it FREE SOFTWARE - OPEN SOURCE ? Why buying 5$/per user where as a free use but a monthly Support price ?

I don’t get why nextcloud make advertise of that

1 Like

@Nemskiller @JasonBayton The plugin is developed by our partner, we are exclusive resellers. This is the same as how we launched the iOS app, which was also proprietary. We always try to work with partners to open source their technology (as TWS did with the iOS app) however we can of course not force our partners to do this.

On a personal note: I don’t understand why anyone would have a problem with this code not being open source even though it is entirely dedicated to supporting a proprietary application. If it was AGPL it would even be ILLEGAL to use it with Outlook, as Outlook is far from open. Just like one can’t legally use AGPL apps with ownCloud Enterprise Edition’s proprietary code. For the iOS app we even had to use a special exception in the GPL license, making it less free, to be allowed in the Apple store because Apple and iOS are of course totally closed and proprietary.

If it is about money - we never intended or promised to give away our work without pay. We want to protect the FREEDOM of our users, not their pocket, that is not what Free Sofware is about. Sorry.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer everything to be as open as possible, but when you’re on a totally closed platform there is little benefit to using a few open parts while the rest is completely locked down.

@ccghad - you can ask for a test version from our sales team.

@c.giebel - we will of course try to work with our partner to provide a solution for home users in time. We hope to be able to do something later this year.

@virusbcn @wizdude - sorry, when it comes to business usage we provide our service at a cost. This is a service to customers. Our prices are reasonable compared to others and we hope to lower the barrier in time, but as this is a new offering, we start with larger customers so we can dedicate the time and effort that is required to get this working well. If you have an urgent need, contact our sales team. If you can wait, stay tuned.

Let me add that for open source fan’s - please use Thunderbird or other open source solutions :wink:

For Thunderbird there’s a open source AND free-of-charge solution: Nextcloud for Filelink

1 Like

@jospoortvliet

I tried several times to contact sales, marketing … via the contact forms and directly via email but there wasn’t a response ever!

It is not a problem to pay for a software, but we are a small Company and we do not need an 50 Seat Enterprise Subscription. Why can’t you sell the Add-in on its own without support?

1 Like

right now because we simply lack the capacity to handle that. I know it is a frustrating and stupid reason but we’re super flooded with work and have lots of large, well paying customers to migrate. We are working real hard to hire more people (every month we add a few new, 3 new people this month!) but it is hard to find good people and more work is coming our way all the time…

However, I want to provide a solution for you and others like you, and that WILL come. It is just going to take a bit of time. We will probably start with publishing a time limited version of the plugin for free with its next update (soon, think a few weeks). That will at least help, so you can start using it if you like.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

I understand your problem but it would be nice to get a answer at all instead of nothing on my mails.

It would be nice to have “Startup” or “Small Business” Enterprise subscription with the Plugin for e.g. 10 Seats/Users with community Support.

Personally I like the Atlassion Model were you can get a 10 User License for 10$ to start small and cheap.

Well you should get A reply, that would be polite. Sadly still some emails fall through the cracks, I’m sorry for that.

A lower cost solution for smaller customers is something we will try to provide once we have worked through our massive backlog :wink:

We are also talking to partners who might be able to provide (some of) this.

please let me know your interpretation of “a few week”
define “next update” pls
it’s been over a year now and nothing has happened, that’s too bad because owncloud, teamdrive etc. have solutions for it.

Hello @FuXXz, there have been updates. You can find the free edition at:
https://download.nextcloud.com/outlook/20180705/
Also see: https://nextcloud.com/blog/secure-outlook-add-in-is-now-available-for-testing-in-free-as-in-beer-version/

If you are interested in a trial you can contact sales.

Oh boy:

download.nextcloud.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 2018-07-22 20:58. The current time is 2018-07-23 10:32.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

@jospoortvliet You should fix this. :wink:

I can’t but sysadmin can and did :wink:

1 Like

The Link doesnt work but this Version change nothing.
no Automatically upload an attachment on your Nextcloud
no Shared link custom password (this is the most important, without this plugins for outlook to upload files are useless, the nexcloud guys know this, so it is enterprise feature :slight_smile:
no Custom look for shared links via HTML
no Branding

I simple want to buy the enterprise edition like i have in owncloud