Nextcloud 23.02 OPcache interned strings buffer

Hello,

I just updated from 23.0 to 23.02 and starting getting this warning:

The OPcache interned strings buffer is nearly full. To assure that repeating strings can be effectively cached, it is recommended to apply opcache.interned_strings_buffer to your PHP configuration with a value higher than `8’

I saw in the 10-opcache.ini file that the line was commented out so I guess 8 is the default. I uncommented the line and set the value to 16. After restarting php-fpm, the warning message went away but after a while it complained about 16 not being enough. In the mean time I have set it to 32 but can anyone advise on what a sensible value would be and the logic behind it. Thanks Bill

4 Likes

Hi @BillTNZ

I found this: https://gist.github.com/rohankhudedev/1a9c0a3c7fb375f295f9fc11aeb116fe
and took it.

But I think an answer in the nextcloud docs would be good too.

Best, Bernd

5 Likes

Thanks. I will try that out.

Hi @BillTNZ

I think 8 is fine. And there is no reason to increase the value without need, as long as there are no problems with your Nextcloud.

I have it set to 8 in my php.ini and the warning disappeared after a reboot of my test server. On my production server with identical configuartion it never appeared in the first place. Also someone else here on the forum reported that the message disappeared when he or she restarted the PHP-FPM service, but it reappeared at a later time. All this and the fact that you already tried higher values than 8 and you still receiving the warning, tells me that this is most likely a bug in Nextcloud.

So as long as there are no “real” issues with your instance, I would recommend to ignore the warning for the time beeing, instead of blindly increasing the value. Maybe you could also create a GitHub issue, if none exists yet, so that the Nextcloud devs are aware about the issue and they can check what is causing this warning.

Hey guys, this recommendation is not a bug but a new way how OPcache related recommendations are obtained since Nextcloud v23.0.1:

Previously a fixed set of settings was recommended, basically matching the PHP default values. Now the actual OPcache usage is obtained, and when one limit is reached by >90%, a recommendation is shown to increase that particular setting. That way the recommendations have become much more accurate, serving the actual intention.

E.g. Nextcloud uses ~32-64 MiB overall OPcache memory, based on used apps, but the recommendation was to apply 128 MiB, being wrong, not providing any performance benefit. Same with the maximum stored keys/scripts, where 10,000 was recommended while Nextcloud usually uses 3,000 - 4,000.

The default 8 MiB interned strings buffer applied by PHP (when not set differently) is usually sufficient as well, e.g. my Nextcloud instance uses 3.5 MiB, but this seems to highly depend on used apps. 16 MiB was observed to cover more cases, but obviously not all of them. I’m not sure whether some apps make much use of large strings, or even temporary scripts (PHP files) which are then not evicted properly, but generally, when the system’s RAM allows, it makes sense to follow the recommendation to maximise performance, since otherwise, when the buffer is full, new requests may need to first evict strings before new ones can be cached, and the evicted ones need to be cached again when requested later.

While this new behaviour allows to reduce OPcache limits to what Nextcloud actually uses, more importantly it better covers cases where Nextcloud is not the only web application served by the same webserver and PHP (OPcache) instance. E.g. I administrate another server where phpBB, Wordpress and Matomo run on. And it uses ~350 - 400 MiB overall OPcache and up to 150 MiB for internal strings, caused by indeed temporary large PHP scripts created, used and cached during website usage. The defaults (and previously recommended) 128/8 MiB would break the performance benefit provided by OPcache for these websites. An accurate recommendation can only be done based on actual usage.

Indeed, like all warnings on the admin panel, those are not mandatory to follow, but recommendations based on what Nextcloud is able to measure. Not following these won’t break your Nextcloud, OPcache is a pure performance buffer. There are other warnings you can safely ignore, like imagick PHP module, bcmath and gmp modules if you do not use WebAuthn based passwordless authentication anyway, the X-Download-Options header warning if none of your users access Nextcloud via Internet Explorer, and more.

Since more than 16 MiB are a bit unexpected to be ever used, if Nextcloud is the only web application served by your webserver/PHP instance, and the admin panel shows a recommendation to apply >16 MiB, it would be interesting to see your apps list. Probably we can find similarities or identify the app which allocates that much interned strings. Maybe there is indeed an issue with cache eviction in one of these apps, or it simply contains a large number of strings/text shown in its interfaces.

10 Likes
root@lebernd-oc:/var/www/nextcloud# occ app:list
Enabled:
  - accessibility: 1.9.0
  - activity: 2.15.0
  - admin_audit: 1.13.0
  - analytics: 4.0.3
  - announcementcenter: 6.1.1
  - audioplayer: 3.2.4
  - bruteforcesettings: 2.3.0
  - calendar: 3.0.6
  - camerarawpreviews: 0.7.15
  - circles: 23.0.1
  - cloud_federation_api: 1.6.0
  - comments: 1.13.0
  - contacts: 4.0.8
  - contactsinteraction: 1.4.0
  - cookbook: 0.9.9
  - dashboard: 7.3.0
  - dav: 1.21.0
  - deck: 1.6.0
  - dicomviewer: 1.2.3
  - duplicatefinder: 0.0.13
  - epubreader: 1.4.7
  - federatedfilesharing: 1.13.0
  - federation: 1.13.0
  - files: 1.18.0
  - files_accesscontrol: 1.13.0
  - files_downloadactivity: 1.12.0
  - files_external: 1.15.0
  - files_pdfviewer: 2.4.0
  - files_rightclick: 1.2.0
  - files_sharing: 1.15.0
  - files_trashbin: 1.13.0
  - files_versions: 1.16.0
  - files_videoplayer: 1.12.0
  - firstrunwizard: 2.12.0
  - groupfolders: 11.1.2
  - imageconverter: 1.3.2
  - integration_discourse: 1.0.2
  - integration_github: 1.0.2
  - integration_gitlab: 1.0.3
  - integration_reddit: 1.0.3
  - integration_twitter: 1.0.2
  - logreader: 2.8.0
  - lookup_server_connector: 1.11.0
  - mail: 1.11.6
  - maps: 0.1.10
  - music: 1.5.1
  - news: 17.0.1
  - nextcloud_announcements: 1.12.0
  - notes: 4.3.0
  - notifications: 2.11.1
  - notify_push: 0.3.0
  - oauth2: 1.11.0
  - password_policy: 1.13.0
  - phonetrack: 0.7.0
  - photos: 1.5.0
  - previewgenerator: 4.0.0
  - privacy: 1.7.0
  - provisioning_api: 1.13.0
  - recommendations: 1.2.0
  - richdocuments: 5.0.2
  - serverinfo: 1.13.0
  - settings: 1.5.0
  - sharebymail: 1.13.0
  - socialsharing_email: 2.4.0
  - support: 1.6.0
  - survey_client: 1.11.0
  - systemtags: 1.13.0
  - tasks: 0.14.2
  - text: 3.4.0
  - theming: 1.14.0
  - theming_customcss: 1.10.0
  - twofactor_backupcodes: 1.12.0
  - twofactor_totp: 6.2.0
  - updatenotification: 1.13.0
  - user_status: 1.3.1
  - viewer: 1.7.0
  - weather_status: 1.3.0
  - workflowengine: 2.5.0
Disabled:
  - apporder: 0.14.0
  - breezedark: 23.2.0
  - encryption: 2.10.0
  - external: 3.10.2
  - files_markdown: 2.3.5
  - files_mindmap: 0.0.26
  - integration_whiteboard: 0.0.14
  - polls: 3.5.4
  - side_menu: 2.3.3
  - spreed: 13.0.3
  - talk_matterbridge: 1.23.2
  - user_ldap
  - whiteboard: 0.0.3

I have installed quite some apps on this server, that’s right.

Thank you for discussing some technical aspects regarding this subject @MichaIng .

Best, Bernd

Hi @MichaIng

Thanks for detailed the explenation.

Ah ok. Does this mean the warning shows recommendations based on the actual usage of the cache? I asumed the test is just checking the values that are set in the configuration, and sometimes fails to do so. :wink:

Thanks @lebernd for sharing your apps list. Hmm, it has not such much in common with the one here when ignoring the core apps and those which I use on my own instance. I was hoping for an overlap on large apps, like OnlyOffice. Nasty that there is no way I’m aware of to see the content of the interned strings buffer, which scripts contribute to which string etc. That would be awesome for deeper analysis.

If you find time, could you try to find the interned strings buffer size at which Nextcloud stops recommending more? You could also use opcache-gui or this little script to see OPcache usage stats:

<?php echo '<pre>'; print_r(opcache_get_status(false)); echo '</pre>';

Using (true) would add the full list of all cached scripts.

There is also a CLI tool but it is more difficult to use correctly, when one wants to check the PHP OPcache instance Nextcloud runs on, instead of a new instance created by the CLI tool itself :wink:.

Exactly that. Previously it did just compare the set values against fixed values (the PHP defaults in fact), now in compares used vs available buffer sizes, via opcache_get_status() PHP function mentioned above.

1 Like

To solve this inside a docker image until the PR https://github.com/nextcloud/docker/pull/1702 is added:

docker exec -i -t next_your_domain_app_1 bash -l
sed -i "s/opcache.interned_strings_buffer=8/opcache.interned_strings_buffer=16/g" /usr/local/etc/php/conf.d/opcache-recommended.ini |grep opcache.interned_strings_buffer /usr/local/etc/php/conf.d/opcache-recommended.ini
apache2ctl graceful
1 Like

In my case the server is running both Nextcloud and Wordpress in the same apache instance. It may be that Wordpress is causing a high usage of the interned strings buffer. In any case I have modified the opcache settings as per the suggestion in the doc linked by lebernd. It might be subjective but it seems to me that both Wordpress and the Nextcloud web interface are a lot more responsive since doing that.

@ MichaIng

Thanks for such a detailed and useful post; I wish I’d seen it before posting earlier today (“search fail” on my part… :blush: )

2 Likes

Same problem here. Increasing interned strings buffer to 16 didn’t help.
Nextcloud first complained 8 wasn’t enough, now it complains 16 isn’t enough.

Array
(
[opcache_enabled] => 1
[cache_full] =>
[restart_pending] =>
[restart_in_progress] =>
[memory_usage] => Array
(
[used_memory] => 100413352
[free_memory] => 33803704
[wasted_memory] => 672
[current_wasted_percentage] => 0.00050067901611328
)

[interned_strings_usage] => Array
    (
        [buffer_size] => 12582464
        [used_memory] => 12198456
        [free_memory] => 384008
        [number_of_strings] => 188972
    )

[opcache_statistics] => Array
    (
        [num_cached_scripts] => 3074
        [num_cached_keys] => 4792
        [max_cached_keys] => 16229
        [hits] => 334824
        [start_time] => 1645463383
        [last_restart_time] => 0
        [oom_restarts] => 0
        [hash_restarts] => 0
        [manual_restarts] => 0
        [misses] => 3075
        [blacklist_misses] => 0
        [blacklist_miss_ratio] => 0
        [opcache_hit_rate] => 99.089964752781
    )

)

Wow, 100 MiB OPcache used, that cannot be Nextcloud alone, so I guess you run other websites/apps on the same webserver/PHP instance? Totally expected than that you need to raise the OPcache limits accordingly so that everything can be cached.

mostly 1 other wp site.

Then the new checks achieved exactly what the aim was, that is great. WordPress is quite huge, and depending on which plugins and themes you use, large temporary PHP scripts are created which fill up OPcache quickly. As mentioned above, I administer a server with phpBB, WordPress and Matomo on it (no Nextcloud) where up to 400 MiB OPcache and 150 MiB interned strings buffer are used, hence 512 MiB/256 MiB the applied settings.

Thanks for the info.
I can’t configure opcache past 64MB, apache tells me the serer hasn’t enough shared memory.

You mean OPcache or the interned strings buffer? Your OPcache size is 128 MiB already. The interned strings buffer is part of the overall OPcache, so of course you cannot raise it to 128 MiB as then there would be 0 space for caching PHP files. If even 64 MiB is not sufficient, try to raise opcache.memory_consumption to 256 and interned strings buffer to 128 then.

Not sure whether there are Apache wise limitations (and how to overcome them) when PHP runs as Apache module, generally I’d recommend to use PHP-FPM nowadays.

Thank you, I didn’t catch that.

opcache.memory_consumption=256
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=128

makes the trick.

1 Like

Great. Another point to mention in the NC docs extension I plan, it is indeed not obvious.

2 Likes

Hi @MichaIng

the opcache-gui is really nice. Thank you for this.
My instance is running only nextcloud, no other webservice.

The gist I found and posted on the second post has much to high values for my situation I think.

I try these values for now:

; The OPcache shared memory storage size.
opcache.memory_consumption=256
; The amount of memory for interned strings in Mbytes.
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=16

The first value might even be still to much, so I might go with 128 or even 64.
I also set according to the nextcloud docs, but I am not sure. Is everyone telling me it can be disabled?

;opcache.revalidate_freq How often in seconds should the code
;cache expire and check if your code has changed. 0 means it
;checks your PHP code every single request IF YOU HAVE 
;opcache.validate_timestamps ENABLED. opcache.validate_timestamps
;should not be enabled by default, as long as it's disabled then any value for opcache.
;revalidate_freq will basically be ignored. You should really only ever enable
;this during development, you don't really want to enable this setting for a production application.
opcache.revalidate_freq=60

With the gist-values my instance was really slow and I think it just used to much memory.

Best, Bernd