PHP OPCache Error

Ever since upgrading to version 28 of nextcloud, I see the following error message in the admin settings. Does anyone else have this message or know how to fix it? Merci.

• The PHP OPcache module is not properly configured. The OPcache interned strings buffer is nearly full. To assure that repeating strings can be effectively cached, it is recommended to apply “opcache.interned_strings_buffer” to your PHP configuration with a value higher than “32”… For more details see the documentation :arrow_upper_right:

Did you try

?

We should also probably expand that section of the Admin Manual that we’re linking to in that setup check - it currently doesn’t discuss this specific setting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense.

And we need to adjust the JIT related text: Same as with interned strings buffer, the JIT buffer size is part of the overall OPcache size. Hence using 128 MiB for JIT is impossible with the default 128 MiB overall OPcache size. Furthermore it is a complete waste of memory resources: I operate two servers with Nextcloud instances, and one with Wordpress, Matomo, in the past phpBB, and none of them every used more than 1 MiB of the JIT buffer, no matter how much I raise the limit. Hence a much better example/recommendation would be 2M or 4M (to cover cases I never saw), to not waste resources and trigger immediate opcache.memory_consumption, a PHP startup failure or PHP denying to accept the value (not sure how it behaves in case of opcache.jit_buffer_size > opcache.memory_consumption).

I’ve created an issue to itemize the destinations of any setup check links that need some love (and to serve as an overview tracker since I don’t have time to always fix these when they come up immediately nor am I necessarily the appropriate person to do so in many cases):

Feel free (this goes for anyone reading) to add to that issue or comment on it if you run across a setup link that isn’t clear about “next steps”.

1 Like