New tutorial: How to set up your development environment on Windows

Hello Nextclouders,

We have published a tutorial on setting up a development environment for Windows users!

This is a follow up on the already existing tutorials on how to set up your development environment for Ubuntu and Mac.

The tutorial guides you through the steps to set up a development environment using the docker of juliusheartl .

You can find the tutorial here:

Go to “1 Setting up a development environment” and then to “Tutorial for Windows”

The steps for a Windows machine are not the easiest. You also really have to make sure your system meets the system requirements as outlined in the readme. We will try to help you if you have questions!

And when you have your development environment working, you can check out the next tutorials on developing a simple files plugin and developing a simple interface-only app.

All the best!

4 Likes

hi! We have again published a new version of the Windows tutorial. This new version is much shorter, easier to follow, and more solid. So if you ran into errors with the previous tutorial, give this one a try!
It’s in the location that is also linked in the main post:

Nextcloud app development tutorials final

1 Like

hey! Can you please point me to the right resources or guide me how to set the following project in android studio and can I upgrade the following gradle version to the latest one 8.0 in flamingo.

hey! I’m not aware of those resources. maybe you can best open a new topic in this development forum, with your question, as this thread is unrelated to Android. People who know about your question can then help you further!

1 Like

Hi,
I am setting up NC for app development on Windows 10 Home with Docker Desktop using the https://github.com/juliushaertl/nextcloud-docker-dev tutorial and guidelines line-by-line. Seems pretty clear and well explained

Docker seems to be running okay and the localhost * http://nextcloud.local/ opens. However it reports:

:rotating_light: Could not find a valid Nextcloud source in /var/www/html
Double check your REPO_PATH_SERVER and STABLE_ROOT_PATH environment variables in .env

sure enough, there is no source-code on /var/www/html on the local Windows folder or the nextcloud Docker container. The “workspace/server” path on Windows has the subfolders but no content…

Have i missed a step ? Does the source code need to be pulled/extracted for the repo?

Thanks in advance.

hi! I’m sorry for my slow reply. I’ve reported the error to the developer of the code.

The source code should have been pulled during your initial run of the bootstrap.sh script. Did that report any error for you?