New Nextcloud IOS App Background uploading not working

Just curious, does the @ios team have a release date in mind?

I hope soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates on this? @ios

Hello @ios, thanks for the update but it still seems that the uploads are not working like before.

Hi @AndyXheli , please ?

@ios Once you take a picture, the nextcloud app take a very long time to pick it up and the upload only works when i open the app. i’ve already uninstalled it and it does the same thing on a different iphone.

RIght, any updates ? @ios

Have you seen this ?

Hi @ios, I think the issue reported here is back in IOS systems, I’m facing it now with two different iPhones where the app only start syncing files when the app is open.

Same here newest IOS and app.

Same here too…
have to open the app … then uploading starts. No background job :frowning:

iPhone8
iOS 13.5.1
NC client 3.0.0.76

Same here, sometimes it shows a badge on the app icon but upload only starts when the app is started.

Also it shows uploading multiple copies of the same videos and photos but the result is only one of each file in the camera upload folder. Another issue maybe.

iPhone XS
iOS 13.6
Nextcloud app 3.0.1.18
Nextcloud server 19.0.1

@ios
The background sync is not working on IOS

1 Like

On IOS, losing the focus on NextCloud causes the halt of uploading.

Same Problem here.

Is there an fix ?

Upload only starts / restarts when the app is open.

Thanks!

1 Like

Same here. iOS background sync is not working

1 Like

June 22 and the problem still exists. App has to be active and screen on. Uploaded the wife and kids photos overnight by changing screen lock to Never, but my work phone has a mandatory 30 second screen lock. So I am stuck tapping it every 30 seconds to try to keep the uploads working.

OneDrive now has an overnight upload option that works nicely- start it and it prevents the screen from locking. Nicely implemented.

The fix for this is to enable gps and set it to always on. When a major location change is detected, background upload will start. The problem is, gps has been removed from the latest version of the app for some reason. This isn’t an issue for my phone, I already had gps enabled. But my wife just got a new phone, and I can’t get Nextcloud to request gps permissions so that her background upload will work. Please add in gps permission!!!

I don’t think this will change anything, because the corresponding code for the location updates was removed as well:

This really sucks! I don’t understand the change. GPS seems to be the only way to get background upload working on iOS. Even Dropbox and Google photos use it. I’ll have to test this more, but my background upload seems to still function, but my wife has to open the app. I’ve left gps on for Nextcloud, didn’t realize the code was removed.