NC23: How to enable Nextcloud Office

I briefly skimmed this thread and Iā€™m aware there are a bunch of different setups being discussed.

Iā€™m using self Hosted Nextcloud 23.0.0 with self hosted Collabora using docker image 21.11.0.5.1 that sits behind a traefik reverse proxy. Iā€™m aware many people donā€™t want to use the docker image, however in this case the solution just works. I upgraded nextcloud to 23.0.0 and the self hosted Collabora and Only-Office instance work. This may be an alternative for some if you donā€™t want to setup your own loolswsd server yourself (which Iā€™ve done in the past). No changes needed to be made to my nginx/Nextcloud config to make this work.

For what itā€™s worth, I had NC 22 with a Collabora CODE instance on same server (not the built in one) and was really looking for the NC 23 because of the heavily marketed P2P backup and improved Nextcloud Office (making Collabora redundant as I understood it and integrating it into Nextcloud much ore slickly as a part of the basic Nextcloud system).

But, I still have no idea where to find this mystical P2P backup feature and my Collaboar instance is still working fine and all is dandy an d all I see is the access to settings on the Nextcloud instance read ā€œNextcloud Officeā€ now not ā€œCollaboraā€ but itā€™s still my old separate Collabora CODE instance behind it all and it looks like ā€œbetter integrationā€ simply meant renaming a couple of links.

Most disillusioned with the whole NC 23 upgrade. Canā€™t see itā€™s made any difference at all, but did bring my system down for a couple of days because of a faulty updater that required a manual patch to a migration file to get it up again. Aaargh.

Dissappointed (by the enormous gulf between marketing hype and the ground reality - not by Nextcloud+Collabora that is still one awesome kick-ass service and I remain endless grateful for itā€™s free open source reality and provision to us! - as a private user and NFP club it makes avoiding big private cloud providers like Google possible).

Common! There is at least a little more than thatā€¦ But yes the backend stays the same. Nextcloud Office mainly changes the front end, which now integrates better with the Nexctcloud UI. And you can now also use Draw :slight_smile: There should also be performance improvements in the Built-In Collabora server. (which at the moment does not work at all, at least on my test installation.)

Being hyped because of marketing events is something I stopped doing a long time ago. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m in my mid 40s now and have already seen many hyped things come and go. :wink:

And that is what really matters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the same old back up app as ever. I see nothing related to P2P there. I may be blind, but heck given the prominent announcements and marketing I expect to see something obvious.

How? Iā€™ve noticed no change at all. Same old ā€¦ bar the menu name changes to NextCloud Office. :wink:

Collabora online isnt working but hey, it does work in nextcloud app on ios just fine :slight_smile:

Having the same Problem as @FleetAdmiralButter - all freshly updated, Collabora Server is reachable, the App installed, but the office documents downloadā€¦

Seems like a UI level error to me?!

1 Like

There is now an updated Connector ā€œCollabora Online 5.0.1ā€ and its working now.
So please make the Update in your App List and Collabora is running again.

1 Like

No, it does not. They fixed one problem of many.

Sure it does. Just tested it on my test server with Nextcloud 23.0.0. Maybe you have to reinstall the apps. I also had to click once on ā€œuse own serverā€ which showed me the address of the built-in server and then automatically switched back to ā€œUse built-in serverā€. After that, it worked.

1 Like

The update fixed it for me too.

The only issue Iā€™ve seen so far is that if I restart Apache after an update, it will sometimes revert to downloading the file. Going to the settings and clicking on the ā€œuse built in serverā€ option again will re-initialise the collabora server.

Unfortunately, there is no emoji for facepalm. :upside_down_face:

I have Nextcloud Hub II (v23), Collabora app 5.0.1 and tested with demo server and integrated server 21.11.6

Hello !

Nextcloud Office doesnā€™t work for me.
I have enabled encryption with recovery keys (not master key).
I can open a document, edit it. But when i come back, i have this error

Also, I canā€™t download it. I have this error in log

OCA\Encryption\Exceptions\MultiKeyDecryptException: multikeydecrypt with share key failed:error:0407109F:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_2:pkcs decoding error

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

This problem seems to be fixed with version 5.0.1 of Collabora Online.

Should be this entry in the changelog:

#1922 Properly check proxy status when using built-in CODE server

which one is?

Ooops it was a issue in my nextcloud installation, not linked with Collabora.

Hi, i got it working on my NCP with NC23.0 installed. After installing the apps Coll.Online and CODE and testing an .odt document my NCP wasā€™nt available for a while, means the network connection was down but CLI still worked, so i restarted apache2 and waited. After a coffee my NCP went online again. Now all works fine.

Edit:
Throuout the last day the behaviour described above happend 3 times , additionally my NCP had problems in creating file previews. So I deactivated Collabora online and CODE. After deactivation no more issues arouse. Previews could be generated again. I 'll keep waiting for a newer release.

Worked! Thanks so much for posting this.

1 Like