You can use this small .cmd to fix the issue

reg delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0960F090-F328-48A3-B746-276B1E3C3722}" /f
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\NextCloud\shellext\OCOverlays_x64.dll"
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe
exit
1 Like

Hi,

after updating to 2.3.3 I did not see icons, so I want follow this thread to reregister the DLL. BUT
I do not find any shellext directory in my Nextcloud client installation nor any OCOverlays*.dll on my PC.
Does NextCloud 2.3.3 stopped using overlay icons?

Thanks to [AZeroEight]) and fifh.

Due to a limited number of entries for ovelay icons in Microsoft Windows explorer, if a Dropbox sync-client was installed prior to Nextcloud’s, the sync -icons won’t show up in your local files.
In order to fool the explorer you need to rename the five registry key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\OCxxxxx
in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\ OCxxxxx
(the spaces added, though one might suffice but i haven’t tried yet!)

If like Liberium, your using [OneDrive] too, the overlay keys number may may exceed the limit supported by the explorer and you may need another workaround

(you could try to delete the five [OneDriveN] keys first 
)

Hi LiLa,

thanks for your answer. I don’t know why, but somehow I missed to see your anwser. I just see right now.

I never used DropBox sync client or OneDrive.
I checked my registry and I did not have any OCError, OCOK 
 entries. I even used the find feature for scanning the whole registry.
As I wrote before there was no shellext directory with the OCOverlays DLLs in my system at all. So I reinstalled the NextCloud Desktop Client and especially unchecked and rechecked the Windows Shell Integration feature within the install wizard. After killing and starting the explorer again, the icons appeared.
So for me the problem was that the shell integration was not installed during last update, for what reason ever.

Anyway, thank you for your hint.
afi

Hi,
I also have this issue with missing icons, but in addition to this I am missing the NC context-menu in Windows 10 Explorer, too! There is no possibility to share within Windows Explorer.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall, rebooted the PC, but the context-menu “Nextcloud” is not there. During installation of course explorer integration was activated.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers in this thread!

I had a freshly installed Windows 10 Pro and tried to get the icons back.
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud\shellext\OCContextMenu_x64.dll"
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud\shellext\OCOverlays_x64.dll"

threw a dubious error at first, due to unresolved/missing .dll’s.

This guide from Owncloud suggested to check the dependencies of the dll’s. - MSVCP120.dll and MSVCR120.dll were missing.

I had to install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable before being able to run the command. I installed x86 and x64 just to be sure - so I can’t tell you which one solved my problem.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
As well as the 2013 one:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3179560/update-for-visual-c-2013-and-visual-c-redistributable-package

I’m not sure, but our problem might not occur if the vcredist is installed before installing Nextcloud.

Cheers,

Installing Visual C++ Red solved my Problem!
Have a nice day. :blush:

Merci a fifh, cela fonctionne trĂšs bien pour moi !

Interesting to know is (using 2.5.3) one sync folder account does show the overlay icons, the second account sync folder does not.

Now
 checking the registry does show me only 13 overlay icons Nextcloud (OC) and the OneDrive icons

Nothing over the 15 icons limit

Any thoughts?

Hi
I had the same problem. I read about 15 overlays max. I check registry and I have less that 15 so I didn’t understant why icons are not showed in w10 explorer.

At the begining of the list i have 7 entries with this text -> “several spaces”+OnedriveX and then Nextcloud “OC*” entries.

This fixed it !! Just remove those spaces from " OnedriveX" entries so OC* entries can be at the top of the list. Reboot Windows and check you can see the icons and now in the registry “OC*” entries are at the top of the list.

Hope it helps!

Installing Visual C++ redistributable fixed it for me. It was the third installation on Windows 10 machines in my household, and the first one with no icon overlays or context menu.

I followed various suggestions above. The Registry keys were in place, indeed they all had a space in front, but the .dll files would not register. So I took your advice, installed the Visual C++ redistributable, then registerered OCOverlays.dll and OCContextMenu.dll (successful this time) and it was fixed on a reboot.

Many thanks.

Hello,
unfortunately, I’m in the same situation and nothing works.

I was able to run the “Nextcloud-2.3.3.1-setup” version on my pc .
If I upgrade to version 2.5 the icons disappear, impossible to run NextCloud on my pc.

What worked for me.
I found that I lost the “Share via nextcloud” option in the context menu when I installed client version 2.6.4.

The fix for me was to load v2.3.3.1 over the top of 2.6.4. I had to reenter the user into the client and the context menu came back.

I then sequentially upgraded to version 2.5.0, then 2.6.2, then back to 2.6.4 and all was good.

I suspect the upgrade to 2.6.2 was probably not necessary.
I think that whatever was missing was rectified with the 2.5.0 upgrade.

Worked for me. File name was “OCOverlays.dll” the _x64 were not present.

With NextCloud Windows 10 client version 3.0.1 (64bit machine) the correct command is

regsvr32.exe “C:\Program Files\Nextcloud\shellext\NCOverlays.dll”

Note the Program Files directory, NCO and not OCO and lastly no _x64 at the end

I add information for >3.0.1 Nextcloud cliente for Windows.

What worked for me is going to the register (regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers) and making sure the first entries are:

Seems that they changed name after 3.0.1 update. Now they are named NextcloudError, NextcloudOK, etc. I needed to add spaces in front of them to make sure they are the first ones.

1 Like

I had the same issue and I fixed it with the command line given by many of you.
But I have to change the path of the command line because mine was stored somewhere else. After a restart and the icon start showing up.

regsvr32.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud\shellext\OCOverlays_x64.dll”

Thanks, guys!

1 Like

Hi, I had the same issue, I tried “regsvr32.exe “C:\Program Files\Nextcloud\shellext\NCOverlays.dll””, and then to put nextclouds entries in first in the register, like @qvarker and it works. I had other entries about dropbox and other sync clients that were above in the list, maybe that was the cause of the issue.
Thanks anyway !

If anyone is still have an issue please install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable on your computer restart and it should fix the issue.