Make Nextcloud Office builtin server in the Ubuntu snap work (partial solution for endless "loading document" issue)

Hi

I finally was able to make Nextcloud Office work. My installation is using the nextcloud snap on an ubuntu base (in an lxd container). The problem and partial fix are not specific to a version of nextcloud, nextcloud hub or ubuntu. I have had the issue that documents will never stop loading for a very long time.

Today I decided I’d try to run Collabora_Online.AppImage, located in /var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/extra-apps/richdocumentscode/collabora on the nextcloud server.

To my surprise, it gave a simple error: dlopen(): error loading libfuse.so.2

I solved it using an equal simple:

apt-get install libfuse2

I then started the Appimage manually on the command line and there we go, nextcloud office is able to load documents for editing etc.

One problem that still persists, is that the Appimage is not started automatically after a reboot. If anybody can hint me to the mechanism that should start it, I think my installation is finally fully functional.

Edit: bug Nextcloud Office builtin server: Collabora_Online.AppImage fails to start if libfuse2 is missing. · Issue #3190 · nextcloud/richdocuments · GitHub

2 Likes

This was awesome, thank you! Been wrestling with this issue since installing a snap install of Nextcloud on Ubuntu 22.04.3.

This link recommends adding a “cron” at reboot time to start the AppImage. It might help?

I’m going to try it and see if it works.

But thank YOU for the initial post - this got me in the right direction!

Wanted to add that the crontab addition worked for me. So now online editing is full enabled.

My setup, as of Jan 12, 2024:
Ubuntu: 22.4.3
Nextcloud: 27.1.4 (snap installed)
Nextcloud Office: 8.2.4
Built-in CODE server: 23.5.604

1 Like

Many thanks for this post.
I had exactly the same problem when upgrading my Ubuntu server from 20.04 to 22.04!