Just set up a Linode Market App installation of Nextcloud but having Talk issues

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Some useful links to gather information about your Nextcloud Talk installation:
Information about Signaling server: /index.php/index.php/settings/admin/talk#signaling_server
Information about TURN server: /index.php/settings/admin/talk#turn_server
Information about STUN server: /index.php/settings/admin/talk#stun_server

Nextcloud version (eg, 26.0.1): Talk Server version _(eg, 15.0.5)_:
Custom Signaling server configured: `I think yes from the UI interface there is reference to some details which suggest it has been done - see screenshot -

Custom TURN server configured: yes/noI believe yes from the UI see screenshot

Custom STUN server configured: yes/noNo reference to this

In case the web version of Nextcloud Talk is involved:
Operating system Ubuntu 22.04
Browser name and version Microsoft Edge
Version 112.0.1722.48 (Official build) (64-bit)

In case mobile Nextcloud Talk apps are involved:
Talk iOS version (eg, 14.0.2): replace me
Talk Android version (eg, 14.0.2): replace me

The issue you are facing:

Talk calls are not working - live messaging is working but when call is set up and member is invited to the call it cannot connect

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? I have just installed the set up from Linode Market App . I have never used Nextcloud before. It has not worked at all since installing the software.

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging or errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/:

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in `/var/log/____`:

PASTE HERE

Your browser log if relevant (javascript console log, network log, etc.):

PASTE HERE

CONFIGURATION ALERT: You specified --lt-cred-mech and --use-auth-secret in the same time.
Be aware that you could not mix the username/password and the shared secret based auth methods.
Shared secret overrides username/password based auth method. Check your configuration!

OR:
CONFIG ERROR: Empty cli-password, and so telnet cli interface is disabled! Please set a non empty cli-password!
0: : NO EXPLICIT LISTENER ADDRESS(ES) ARE CONFIGURED
[WARN] JSON logger disabled

This is the message in teh logs that I am not understanding. The Linode Market App has only just been installed - Linode confirmed that the App was built by Nextcloud so should work out of the box so to speak. All else seems to work but not Talk

In Talk configuration from the UI perspective the relevant Turn and coturn have been set up. so not sure what should now happen

What exactly is not working?

The calls are not connecting. messaging is working but when we try to call there is a connection error

Notwithstanding that the turn appears to be configured with the port and secret showing the connection tester results in a negative connection

I put this in ChatGPT to see what would come the exchange is below:

CONFIGURATION ALERT: You specified --lt-cred-mech and --use-auth-secret in the same time.
Be aware that you could not mix the username/password and the shared secret based auth methods.
Shared secret overrides username/password based auth method. Check your configuration!

OR:
CONFIG ERROR: Empty cli-password, and so telnet cli interface is disabled! Please set a non empty cli-password!
0: : NO EXPLICIT LISTENER ADDRESS(ES) ARE CONFIGURED
[WARN] JSON logger disabled

It seems like there are a couple of configuration issues in your application. I will address them one by one:

1. You cannot mix username/password and shared secret authentication methods. You have specified both --lt-cred-mech (username/password based authentication) and --use-auth-secret (shared secret based authentication) in your command. To resolve this, you need to choose one of the authentication methods and remove the other from your command.
  2. You have an empty cli-password in your configuration, which disables the telnet CLI interface. To enable it, you need to set a non-empty password for the cli-password option in your configuration file or command.
  3. No explicit listener address is configured. This means that your application is not listening on any specific IP address or port. To resolve this issue, specify the IP address and port you want your application to listen on, using the appropriate configuration option (e.g., --listen-address or similar, depending on your application).
  4. JSON logger is disabled. This might not be an issue if you do not require JSON logging. However, if you need JSON logging, enable it by setting the appropriate configuration option (e.g., --enable-json-logger or similar, depending on your application).

After addressing these issues, re-run your application, and it should work as expected.

Point 1 could have happened due to a few reasons:

1. Misunderstanding of the authentication options: The person configuring the application might have been unsure about the difference between username/password-based authentication and shared secret-based authentication. As a result, they included both options in the configuration, which is not allowed.
  2. Merging of configurations: If multiple people were working on the configuration or if it was derived from different sources, both authentication options might have been accidentally included. This can happen, for example, when merging different configuration files or copying settings from another project without proper review.
  3. Oversight or human error: The person configuring the application might have accidentally included both options, either by forgetting to remove one or not realizing that they are mutually exclusive.

To avoid such issues in the future, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the available configuration options and their implications. Additionally, reviewing the configuration thoroughly before deployment and maintaining proper documentation can help identify and resolve potential conflicts or mistakes.

Hey Femio,

it’s really hard to help you with the provided information. Please take some time and fill out the support template in your first post. Please also add the configuration you did on the TURN server and tell us what you already tried.

Nah, the error is shown on my side as well but talk and the turnserver still works. Did you already try if the turn server check works using a different browser?

Also are you maybe using Cloudflare for your domain?

yes I am using Cloudflare

Do you use their Proxy feature or something comparable?

Yes the proxy feature is on

Can you try to disable that and see if it makes things work?

trying now

BTW, is cloudflare even accepting connection attempt to something else than port 443? (I don’t know much about Cloudflare and their features to be honest…

I do not know but it has workers and rules to allow if that were a problem.
In any event I tried to call and the same thing appears to be happening, that the call is made it rings but won’t allow the connection.

The issue for me now is that I am testing on the same computer using incognito on another test account set up. Not sure if this is causing an issue.

Ps I have unproxied Cloudflare

Can I send you a guest link to try?

What browser did you try?

Chrome and Edge.

But just now on Chrome normal and incognito separate accounts of course.

Ps, I have not set the admin email as yet would this have any effect on this?

I doubt that this would have an effect.

Can you try to switch the network temporarily and see if that fixes things? E.g. by switching from home network wifi to mobile wifi or the other way around?

I use a vpn I can also check if this is having an effect