iOS Client background upload not working

IOS auto upload doesn’t work when app is not in focus. as soon as the device is locked or the app is in background the upload stops.

Nextcloud version (eg, 17.0.1):
Operating system and version (FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64)):
Apache or nginx version (nginx/1.16.1):
PHP version (PHP 7.1.33):
IOS Version (13.2.3)

I have an iPad Pro, iPhone 10xs Max, iPhone 11 Pro Max.

all of these devices have the same symptom.
auto upload photos/videos on
auto upload photos on
auto upload videos on
auto upload in the background on
upload the whole camera roll on

the images start uploading as expected.
in the transfers I can see continuous uploads and the file counts are going down.

if I press the home button and watch the badge icon for Nextcloud I see the count but it stops going down. the only time the auto upload works is if the app is in focus as the active app.

this is the same results on all the iOS devices I have.

1 Like

Further observation shows that the photos are being uploaded in the background when the screen is unlocked but they seem to be at a much slower rate than when the app is open. If the screen is locked they stop completely. As long as the app is open. It does not appear to affect newly snapped photos. They upload fine.

This has been going on for quite some time, the team has been trying to get it fixed. You may also want to reference the topic Here and see if you can get any insights or contribute to the conversation.

1 Like

As workaround it is possible to use Shortcuts App automation to open Nextcloud App on event or at a time. App will be open in foreground.
Power connected has option to run without confirmation, but if phone is locked, action will be delayed.
Join to Wi-Fi network event show confirmation to run script.