Important changes regarding Collabora COOL/CODE 26.04

Pease be aware of changes coming with latest COOL/CODE 26.04. version.

The websocket used by the system changes to more compact format which might require reverse proxy configuration changes - see details COOL/CODE reverse proxy settings

old url new URL
/cool/(.*)/ws /cool/ws/

basically the part between /cool/and /wsdisappears

Apache config
 # Main websocket (legacy URL, with the document path encoded into it)
 ProxyPassMatch      "/cool/(.*)/ws$"      wss://127.0.0.1:9980/cool/$1/ws nocanon

 # Main websocket (compact URL, used since 26.04, with the document passed via the WOPISrc query parameter)
 ProxyPass           /cool/ws wss://127.0.0.1:9980/cool/ws nocanon
NGINX config
 # main websocket, download, presentation (legacy svg) and image upload
 location ^~ /cool/ {
   proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:9980;
   proxy_http_version 1.1;
   proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
   proxy_set_header Connection "Upgrade";
   proxy_set_header Host $host;
   proxy_read_timeout 36000s;
 }
}

In case new compact websocket fails the system is expected to fail bacK to legacy variant and show a warning - but at some point the failback might be removed.

Hello, great info that I missed when migrating my configs from CODE 23 to CODE 26.04.3.1 1ec9f2b9e7

I had detected websocket protocol differences with the latest version of CODE by inspecting journal from coolwsd on a reference instance running CODE 25.04.11.3 1059ff2a99, but even with applying this change this does not run OK with NC 34.0.3 and NC 33.0.7

The only difference I have is that I am using a config with SSL termination (hence I use ws:// instead of wss://) .

It would be really nice to know which versions of NC are running with which versions of CODE. My old CODE 23.NN stopped running OK when I migrated from Debian 12 (php 8.2) to Debian 13 (php8.4) to be able to upgrade to NC 34.

you could also read release notes CODE 26.04 Release Notes - Collabora Online and Collabora Office which are really good btw..

last time i had global issues with CODE 6.4 - must be >5y ago.. since than each version of CODE was running with each NC - but I never left ancient versions running and always update within 2-3 months to current release. CODE 26 definitely runs with NC33 and NC34.

I also use TLS termination with reverse proxy - and it runs well.. they didn’t only switch ws format but also switched to distroless images - and there was a faulty version you should avoid → 26.04.2.3.1, each version before and after you are good - see Collabora CODE for Nextcloud with Docker

Thank you for your answer. I will keep searching since I really appreciate CODE which is a very good and improving open-source software. I hope it will remain so, along with the official, supported, professional version, similarly to Nextcloud which is also committed to open-source. For associations or non-profit organisations that cannot afford the price tag of by-user licences, it makes a lot of a difference. I understand that your advice is to install a distroless image, which I am not ready to do for security concerns. Right now I keep one old running version of CODE until a newer runs OK on all my NC servers and some smartphones (test and production-ready).