How to skip compulsory app update?

When there’s an update for an app, I’m getting a page like this on Nextcloud:

Is there any way to skip this page and not update? It’s weird that I’m locked out of my installation until I update some random app, which maybe I don’t want to update.

Any idea if skipping the update can be done, and how?

It is a usual mechanism, that apps are being updated when you run and ./occ upgrade command. The app itself has already been downloaded and this task updates the related database tables etc., so not a big deal. It isn’t possible to jump over it, because otherwise your system stability might be impacted.

Is it not? Updates now and then break, and I need to ssh to the server to manually fix them. The message recommends to backup everything too, which shows it’s not something small. If I need Nextcloud now, I don’t want to accidentally break it and have to spend one afternoon fixing it.

That’s why it’s strange to be locked out of my server for this. WordPress and most other web applications out there allow you to update plugins and themes in your own time.

It seems that you’ve executed the upgrade command, haven’t you? So you were aware of whjat are you doing. A backup is usually recommend when updating Nextcloud, but not for an app.

Not what the upgrade message says.

But anyway I was just asking if the upgrade can be skipped or delayed and the answer is “no”, which is awful design but it is what it is.

I was just asking if the upgrade can be skipped or delayed

As you already figured out the answer is no.

which is awful design

Probably. There are some awful design decision around. But keep in mind that there is no auto update functionality. That makes your question a bit confusing. Usually manual interaction is required to trigger this page (for example via app manager or occ app:update).

I don’t see a issue with that . Perhaps a alternative choice “skip update and disable app” could added. But then it’s better to not update the app and work with the older version instead of downloading the app and not applying the update.

If this page came out of nowhere (without your interaction) and you are able to reproduce this somehow please log a issue at Sign in to GitHub · GitHub.

hi i have the same problem. i accidentially clicked on an upgrade of the app polls. but that upgarde breaks and i only have ftp access to the server. does anyone knows how to roll back that update?

Hi @ulph0

Had the same problem as well going from Polls 1.8.3 to 2.0.0. My instance was locked out, but these steps brought it back:

sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --on
sudo -u www-data php nextcloud/occ app:disable polls
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --off

Not sure if the maintenance mode is required, but reporting what I did. So no polls until a fix is figured out it seems.

EDIT: oh you only have ftp access. Sorry, ignore this answer

You also can manually download the app, decompress in /apps dir and then reload the website.

Read Problematic versions in the appstore (1.9.5 and 2.0.0)

thanks for your answer. maintenance mode is switchable over changing config.php but it wasn’t on at all.

what i found is this:

what i did is this:

• disabling polls over the database (similar to this: How to disable an app without access to the GUI? - FAQ - ownCloud Central but changing “storage_charts” to “polls”. also you could change it manually over phpmyadmin, what i prefer). this removed that screen.

• to solve my certain problem i deleted apps folder, overwrite it with the files described in the issue above and re-enabled it over the db.

that helped.

regards,
ulf

@ulph0 Read my article i posted above. It worked for me. I only downloaded and decompressed the polls app and the website worked.

1 Like

thank you @devnull , so i did the same except in addition dis- and reenabled the app. hope this mails here will help others with the same problem.

Doesn’t work for me. Anyone have a solution?

The issue for me it having a problem with Photos (photo) app, which seem to be compulsory. I delete the App and you would run into an error about “app not found”. Downloading the latest version 25.0.2 and upload the Photos app to both the main /app/Photo folder and the data/updater-[codestring]/backup/app folder still doesn’t help.

Totally agree that this error is rather extremely annoying, and I don’t quite like the current design. There was multiple other error that isn’t clear as well which I thought I finally succeed in the upgrade process but now I’m dead at known is written in the update .step file as “Step 12”.

I’m thinking of changing the Photo app version number to some value and see if it can “check” if it the latest and skip over it but that might not be enough.

I also try looking for any update files (tried updater/updater.phar) to see if I can forcefully disable it but no luck.

My next to step is to see if I can (1) wait for a new Photo app and try again, (2) Start from the start and do the manual upgrade process. (3) Dig for more file/folder to delete or remove lines. (4) Keep searching forum and other location to see if anyone got recommendations.

Some time for other people who suffer this issue as me!

1. data/config file, maintenance mode to false if you stuck
  2. PHP config your Execution time to 600 or even 900 second if your backup fail.
  3. Delete .steps file in data/update if you are stuck.
  4. Maybe don’t bother upgrading minor version unless it is a security risk as Web-updater system is still very buggy. Wait for a major upgrade, you might need to learn Manual Upgrade method too!

Thank you. Best of luck… if I can find a solution out of this, I be sure to post.

Would you mind sharing your problem with the photos app?