Error when accepting a calendar invite on Thunderbird

Steps to reproduce

1. Receive a calendar invitation
  2. Click on accept
  3. Error happens: ā€œProcessing message failed. Status: 80004005.ā€

Expected behaviour

The event should be added to the calendar and the answer sent to the organizer

Actual behaviour

Iā€™m experiencing this on Mozilla Thunderbird 68.2.2. This problem happens when I receive an invitation. Sometimes, I see the HTML message (with the Nextcloud logoā€¦ see example below). In this case, the error message 80004005 appears.

The event can be accepted only if I manually sync the calendar before. Step to reproduce:

1. Receive the email: it is shown as an HTML page, with the Nextcloud button ā€œAcceptā€ in the middle
  2. Click on ā€œAcceptā€ (not the Nextcloud button in the middle, but the Thunderbird button, top right)
  3. Error message 80004005 appears
  4. Sync Calendars in Thunderbird
  5. Go back to the message: it is shown as the table mentioned above
  6. Click on the ā€œAcceptā€ Thunderbird button ā†’ it works

It should work in step 2 above, I shouldnā€™t be required to go up to step 6

It happens if the person sending the invite is using Thunderbird, and is using a calendar on the same Nextcloud server. And it can also happen if the sender is not in my organisation. (using Outlook or Thunderbird, I donā€™t know)

To give you more detail:

• Here is what I call the ā€œHTML pageā€: clicking on the Accept button (circled red) doesnā€™t work (error message 80004005):

• And this is how it looks like after a manual sync (here, clicking on the Accept button (circled red) works).

It might be related to the server managed scheduling mode: (on thunderbird, I have calendar.caldav.sched.enabled = false

In my config.php, I see:
ā€˜app_install_overwriteā€™ =>
array (
0 => ā€˜calendarā€™,
),

Should I remove that?

I see related issues here:

Server configuration

• PHP 7.3.11-1+0~20191026.48+debian10~1.gbpf71ca0 (cli) (built: Oct 26 2019 14:20:37) ( NTS )
  • mariadb Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.17-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
  • Nextcloud 16.0.6

Log

I think this log could be related:
Sabre\DAV\Exception\BadRequest: Calendar object with uid already exists in this calendar collection.

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/CalDAV/Calendar.php - line 201:

OCA\DAV\CalDAV\CalDavBackend->createCalendarObject("27", "d8hifi2s08t ... s", "BEGIN:VCALE ... n")

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 1096:

Sabre\CalDAV\Calendar->createFile("d8hifi2s08t ... s", "BEGIN:VCALE ... n")

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php - line 525:

Sabre\DAV\Server->createFile("calendars/e ... s", "BEGIN:VCALE ... n", null)

<<closure>>

Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPut(Sabre\HTTP\R ... "}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php - line 105:

call_user_func_array([ Sabre\DAV\ ... "], [ Sabre\HTTP ... }])

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 479:

Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit("method:PUT", [ Sabre\HTTP ... }])

/var/www/html/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 254:

Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Sabre\HTTP\R ... "}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})

/var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php - line 316:

Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()

/var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php - line 35:

OCA\DAV\Server->exec()

/var/www/html/nextcloud/remote.php - line 163:

require_once("/var/www/ht ... p")
1 Like

Does nobody meet the same issue? I donā€™t see any answer neither here nor on https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/17915 :cry::cry:

For the record, the solution is to let Thunderbird manage the invitations:

• Go to your calendar on Thunderbird
  • Right-click on your calendar name (on the left of the window)
  • Choose Properties
  • Check the box Prefer client-side email scheduling
  • Click OK
1 Like

I confirm the same critical issue using Nextcloud 20.0.7, both using Thunderbird or Outlook clients.

I think the ā€œAcceptā€ or ā€œDenyā€ buttons in the email body automatically generated by Nextcloud should always work, regardless of the email client that is being used.

Nextcloud is a web-based cloud solution: ā€œAcceptā€ the invitation using the button in the email body should by default only interact with my Nextcloud web-app instance, and avoid trying to insert automatically the event in the email client (easily error prone i.e. all email clients are different).

I hope this bug can be solved as soon as possible: it is a critical issue for all professionals using Nextcloud with their collaborators.

Bests,
Rodolphe

2 Likes

I report the same issue and it did not happen before yet :slight_smile:
I think it might be interesting that the calendar event invitation is an update of an older event, sent to me from a google calendar of someone else, and the old event I might have deletedā€¦

Processing message failed. Status: 80004005.ā€

The bug handling seems to be still trouble for Thunderbird or for Nextcloud, as the error message does not even show which application throws the error :slight_smile:
i think this can be improved for people running into this error (like me in this case) but I do not know whom to contact, so i write my 10 cents here

I cannot use the workaround to ā€œPrefer client-side email schedulingā€ as suggested in the Solution, for me the Solution did NOT HELP.

I think this could be reproduced by the following steps (any paid QA from Nextcloud is welcome to reproduce this to a bug tracker) :slight_smile:

• create an event with google account in google calendar which uses gmail and invite a person with a Nextcloud calendar via their email address
  • use Ubuntu Thunderbird for the person who gets the invitation (i use Proton Mail MailBridge)
  • The Nextcloud calendar is shared via authentication DAV link to Thunderbird
  • meet on the even in person :slight_smile:
  • after the event the person with the Thunderbird Nextcloud Calendar removes the event from the Thunderbird Calendar (Delete Event)
  • The person with the google calendar and Google email reschedules the event for one week later
  • The update of the event invitation email from the google mail is received in Thunderbird and when you try to press accept this error message pops up: "Processing message failed. Status: 80004005.ā€

Until now it worked to add the event to the Nextcloud Calendar
If you have more questions, feel free to buy me a coffee if I shall reproduce this :slight_smile:

This could be related to Mail invitation - There was an error updating your attendance status. Ā· Issue #15814 Ā· nextcloud/server Ā· GitHub

Thank you @ChristophWurst i think the error did not reappear anymoreā€¦ I do not remember what I changed but maybe it is very important before the integration of Thunderbird and Nextcloud to have already the email in nextcloud and the calendar as the same email address. also the authentication must be done by email address and NOT by usernameā€¦

for whch reason do we have that username at all? I see many run into trouble in other apps too, when we have an email address and a username. better to map the username in beginning to the email address so the two strings should be equally just containing an email addressā€¦

just thinking out loud. I cannot change my username in nextcloud anymore so it will stay different to the email unluckily. or would there be a way to replace my username to match my emailaddress?