Enable private Nextcloud instance for school class during Corona Lockdown

Hi, i am hosting a Nextcloud instance for my family. Because in Germany Schools are closed I want to use Nextcloud Talk for my daughter´s school class for daily interaction. As far as I understood, talk for larger conference call are only available by using the professional service from Nextcloud. Is there a chance to enable my server for a defined period to be able to handle video conferences with around 20 people? My server should be powerful enough (8 core, 32 GB Ram).

Kind regards

solick

You better contact nextcloud.com directly for your request.

Cheers.

or read through Videoconference performance for alternatives.

From my experience having a reliable video conference with 20 parties for any reasonable amount of time requires a miracle in a “normal” environment.
In today’s climate - when counting on QoS from an ISP would be delusional - I don’t think this is feasible unless you have your own private backbone…

If that doesn’t work out, I know Kopano are offering free video conferencing during the crisis.

https://kopano.com/blog/video-conferencing-during-the-coronavirus-crisis/

I’d consider looking into Jitsi, which is 100% free and open source. It tries to handle large conferences efficiently.

You can read here about performance of various solutions.

Perhaps you can better use a system like https://jitsi.org .
You can use different servers or host your own.
Search for the app “jitsi meet” on android and iOS.

JITSI is mentioned as a potent alternative to the big boys.
Especially in light of Zoom privacy issues

Jitsi is a good service, which you can certainly run yourself. You could try testing this German instance, which was recently recommended to me as one that should handle a large number of simultaneous users. I have just started testing it, so feel free to check out the company hosting it.

You can add a password to the room if you want to limit random people dropping in. You’ll need each student to run the free app on their phone, or they can login from a web browser.

If somebody wants help implementing an Open Source backend for Talk using Kurento Media Server for example to allow everyone to use it for more than 5 or so people is welcome to submit a PR:

Thanks a lot for your great hints. I installed a Jitsi meet and it work like a charm.

It’s a pity that Nextcloud cannot be used for this.

Kind regards

Solick

2 Likes

Noice, sounds like this thread is :sunglasses: Solved :face_with_monocle:

If’ you’re interested in a solution around NC we’ve been looking into options for a client. I’d say “watch this space” but we’ve so far failed to setup a space to watch… If there’s broader interest we’ll sort a space to watch…

Many scaling problems should be solved by 8.0.9, released last week - it adjusts quality based on the nr of participants, among other things. A typical network and hardware setup should handle 5-10 people.

The signalling back-end is now also open source, so you can give that a try.

1 Like