Docker Image Available

Will there be a NextCloud Docker Image available as well ??

regards, hitam4450

2 Likes

Lets bring out our first release - and then, we can talk about appliances :sweat_smile:
But I think ā€¦ definitely yes :wink:

1 Like

It goes like this:

1. Can you do it?
  2. Can you find/pay someone to do it?
  3. How much does the community need it?
  4. How much do the project sponsors need it?
  5. Is it an important tech for the future?

At the end of the process, available resources for new features are compared to the prioritised list of requests and if your request is below the threshold, then it will have to wait for the next round and maybe the next one, etc. until it gets a slot or the idea gets abandoned.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll build a docker container if someone can explain to me what this project is :crossed_swords:

I use docker containers for almost everything I develop now, and Iā€™ve helped port multiple projects to Docker / or at least advice people how to do it. IMO especially perfect for projects like this, this sinopia container is probably the most used repo Iā€™ve made, and sinopia can be downloaded via npm like npm install -g sinopia - butā€¦ then you have to figure out how to demonize and configure it and there isnā€™t support built in for transferring the data if you need to move it, etc. - docker run -v /data:/data -d sinopia - links a volume and demonizes the process, and it makes it easy to deploy and share. The docker container only contains the code that you would either have to type in manually or create bash scripts to automate, its no different.

anyways, I am looking for a solid private cloud so if itā€™s something Iā€™ll use Iā€™d gladly make the docker container.

edit: Iā€™d go a step further and say this project (assuming itā€™s similar to own cloud) could potentially use docker as a fundamental component ofā€¦ at least some part of the development process, if not contained in the app itself. So, to answer the the questions you posed:

1. Iā€™m not OP but I can do it
  2. 90% will just run commands that are part of the build process and automate steps an end user would need to do manually (eg. itā€™s not necessary to download ANY dependencies, no php, no database, only docker)
  3. Community / maintainers will benefit from it - to the extent they choose to - itā€™s not fundamentally necessarily, but it simplifies both development and user experience, if used on a device where its properly supported (Iā€™m testing the native OS X beta - they have have a windows beta - its very powerful)

To answer your last question, Iā€™d rank it in the top 3 most important technologies that exist right now in the development space - but I must clarify - its the concept of ā€˜containerizationā€™ - and ā€˜microkernelsā€™

1 Like

Really cool :+1:
You would probably only need to rebrand, update and maintain this:

Probably, but itā€™s not Open Source, so maybe the team will initially focus on an alternative container technology. Whatā€™s great is that there can be docker containers as long as you and others make them available.

The betaā€™s are closed source, but itā€™s the same Docker - just using the hypervisor framework and 4mb alpine kernel instead of VirtualMachine - but itā€™s faster and works better with a diversity of linux systems, like for arm. It makes it easier to work with building binaries raspberry piā€™s, for example, thatā€™s probably one of my favorite things about the new version.

But first I need to get own cloud up and running before I dive into this, although iā€™m confident Iā€™d be able to maintain the Docker container, I also need to familiarize myself with the repo and actually use it on a regular basis (which is something Iā€™ve been thinking about for months, Iā€™ve tried others, but always falls short of what Iā€™m looking for) Owncloud has been on my radar for a while - it looks like the best solution but now that thereā€™s a fork - seem like a great way to get into a new project.

Yes, and coordinate with the infrastructure team.

Yes, we just need to make sure everything is synced and working properly

As a usual sidenote. With my work on providing kubernetes runnable stuff for the demo, there might be a docker/rkt container setup falling out of this effort. If anyone wants to come first, go for it. If not, Iā€™ll let you know, when something tangible comes of use.

Is the code on github? Would be cool to follow it a bitā€¦

@RnbWd if you need any help, please contact me. I would like to help you, itā€™s a nice project :slight_smile:

Still setting up helper tools and diving into the various ways to structure that. When I get something to show, itā€™ll start appearing on github or gitlab.

1 Like

What do you think about setting up a full deployment suite, for various environments (local, Hosted, VM, Docker, Raspi, ā€¦), and usages (user, developer, tester, ā€¦), excluding but integrating the "open source cloud app store"
That ā€œCloud App Storeā€ would allow the maintenance of the apps which more or less integrate with nextcloud (analogous to the PortableApps-Suite for SW on your USB device, this would be the Suite for your SW in your cloud).

Maybe OTTO (https://www.ottoproject.io/intro/index.html) could be an interesting technology to set up something like this. Especially as it does not reinvent the wheel, but brings together existing stuff - e.g. the Vagrant stuff for the VM could probably be fully reusedā€¦

https://hub.docker.com/r/greyltc/nextcloud/

4 Likes

@greyltc nice one. If you plan on maintaining it, perhaps we could move it to the Nextcloud project and make it our official Docker image? If youā€™re good with that and if others want to help out make this one better/maintain it, of course :wink:

@jospoortvliet
Yes! I absolutely do plan on maintaining it (Iā€™ve been maintaining my owncloud one for maybe a year or so before this) and Iā€™d be very happy if my container here would become the official Nextcloud one. Iā€™m also happy to have any help/contributions from anyone who wants to help make my container better.

One potential gotcha I can think of here in making this the official Docker container is that my container is Arch Linux based. I know Arch wasnā€™t on the list of supported distros for ownCloud. Iā€™d be happy to help with getting Arch on the list of officially supported distros for Nextcloud. That being said, Arch tends to kind of be a canary in the coal mine of sorts. For example with my owncloud container, things broke there for a few days when Arch went to PHP7 before owncloud was really ready for it.

By the way, my docker Nextcloud repo (again at https://hub.docker.com/r/greyltc/nextcloud/ ) comes with a few tags.
You can now use the :daily tag to grab a container with Nextcloudā€™s daily build in it like this:
docker pull greyltc/nextcloud:daily
The :latest tag (used by default when you donā€™t specify any tag) will always have the latest stable release
and you can pull specific versions (for historical purposes) by using the version you want as a tag like :9.0.51

2 Likes

Just in case, Iā€™m also maintaining mine : wonderfall/nextcloud. In my opinion, Alpine Linux is a great base for making safe and lightweight Docker images. Nextcloud is running alongside with PHP7, and itā€™s working flawlessly. You can give it a try too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes