Docker Image Available

Pff, you guys DO make it hard if you create multiple docker images. How do we decide which one to advertise or do we do multiple etc?

I actually have thoughts about that: as security is a serious issue with these images, I am not comfortable putting anything up on the website that isnā€™t maintained by at least 2 people, ideally more.

What do you think about that? Do you think either of you will be able to get others to help out, at least have a look and promise to help out, get access to the repo etc?

2 Likes

I understand the concerns when it comes to advertising community projects. Moreover weā€™re talking about Docker images, which have to be maintained, so we must consider this issue even more seriously. Iā€™m ready to grant some people I trust access to my repository project (Github & Docker Hub). My images are being used by many people I know personally and Iā€™m constantly getting feedbacks, so I think thereā€™s no problem with that.

Most of all Iā€™m glad to see the Nextcloud project has interests in Docker, since the latter is a very cool way to make things work without racking brain. It should be officially considered as an alternative way to install Nextcloud. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is also https://hub.docker.com/r/otbe/nextcloud-fpm/ as a drop in replacement for owncloud fpm image which makes it easy to migrate :slight_smile: works great so far.

2 Likes

Ok, that is cool. Letā€™s see if we can find people who want to help you out - once you have at least one other contributor who knows his/her way around the code, Iā€™d be happy to make it 'official.

We could also consider moving the repo to the Nextcloud project, to give it more visibility. Youā€™d be the maintainer, of course. What do you think about that? And otbe, nice - up for helping with this, too?

Actually I know two people who want to help, they have skills in Docker and Nextcloud, and theyā€™re using my container. Theyā€™re ready to contribute.

And I agree, it would be nice to move the repo to the Nextcloud project, it gives more visibility and we can also make an organisation on Docker Hub. Itā€™s up to you I think! :wink:

2 Likes

As discussed with Wonderfall, I agree to help.
Iā€™ve skill in Docker and Nextcloud, and I know very well the dockerfiles of wonderfall.

I also did something. -> Nextcloud docker image

What differs mostly from Wonderfall is that I wouldnā€™t use ā€œtestingā€ software for production deployments. Therefor my container uses PHP5 and Alpine Linux 3.4 instead of PHP 7 and Alpine Linux ā€œedgeā€. But I would be happy to help. It doesnā€™t make really sense to have much different containers.

Although it is marked as ā€œtestingā€ software, I consider PHP 7 stable enough. But I understand completely your point of view. :wink:

1 Like

What do you think about making two branches? For me that would make sense.

Then we could migrate that stuff from my image to yours and I donā€™t have to maintain it anymore.

Indeed itā€™s a good idea I think. We can move everything to the Nextcloud project, create two branches, one for php5 (stability) and one for php7 (performance). On Docker Hub, we can easily use tags. That would make sense, yes. We want to use Alpine Linux as a base, so thereā€™s no reason to not gather our efforts.

@jospoortvliet what do you think?

1 Like

Perfect. So for me it would be perfect valid to gather our efforts and merge the stuff together. Iā€™m also very open to help maintaining that container.

Isnā€™t there a backport of PHP7 which wouldnā€™t require ā€œedgeā€? That way, you wouldnā€™t even need to maintain 2 separate branches.

May it does, but not in the offical repos.

With alpine, no with official repos. But we can compile us own php7.

1 Like

Thanks. From my pov, it would be worth compiling it yourself.

Hello everybody, and sorry to come after war, but Iā€™m glad to see this thread!

Iā€™m the one who PRed the official docker ownCloud image to add fpm support and I am also the maintainer of piwik and Rocket.Chat official images. I also maintain a bunch of compose/docker files.

I think we should make it an official image and the easiest would be to reuse the ownCloud one, @otbe already did the job here.

To get this going, we need:

Iā€™m a strong advocate of one process per container, and docker also, so it would be nice to make the alpine image without cron/nginx and so on, just fpm.
To make it faster, we can start just with the fpm image, and then add the alpine one later.
We can create an other repo with a compose file, something like compose-nextcloud would make sense.

Once the repo is done, we can PR the official repo.

I can help on all the process, let me know!

@stp yes looks cool :slight_smile: Will you use ceph for a distributed filesystem? This is actually a setup I plan to work on, but I think Iā€™ll s/kubernetes/docker swarm/ :slight_smile: with ceph as the data backend! If you have questions on docker, I might have some answers! Do not hesitate!

1 Like

gimme github user names and Iā€™ll add you to our organization, @blizzz is creating the repo :wink:

If these are more than one docker images/dockerfiles does not it make sense to create a repo for each of it?

I think Iā€™ve invited all of you to join our project, welcome!

Docker repoā€™s created, too. Have fun and - once you do a ā€˜officialā€™ release, let me know and Iā€™ll add them to nextcloud.com/install :wink:

2 Likes

I created now docker-alpine and docker-rpm repos, @jospoortvliet added you there.