Desktop client for Talk

I was wondering if there is a client desktop for talk.

1. i tryed to use Ferdi (fork of Franz), embedding page but notifications are not reliables, and there is latency with notifications.
  2. i was wondering if matterbridge could do the job, ie using mattermost client with talk. but how to get all channels ?
  3. perhaps another solution either working nicely (browser based) or anything else.
    Thank you !

Bump bump bump !

Tried making something about this if this helps

Have you find a solution which a fonctionnal notifications ?

Yeah that’s what I made on that github page.

It has a notification system (showing new messages within 15sec) and a built-in browser to respond quickly.

Thank you so much, i havn’t got it running yet, state token does not match.
I KNOW that is a system error somewhere. I deployed nextcloud as a plesk extension and i cannot connect to it anywhere apart from the website. All info is around nginx, not apache so i am still working on it.

If this is as you say, then it will be a life saver.

Looks like you’ve kind of put it to sleep. Just forked it. Anything special I should know re: Trying to modify?

a lack of desktop client is what stops a lot of people adopting talk and thus nextcloud.

this seems to be a “hard pass” from the nextcloud team, but as much as i wanted to get my staff onto talk, leaving a browser window open was a real problem. we ended up implementing rocket chat and everyone is really happy and excited with it.

all of the competing solutions have a desktop client. teams, zoom, rocketchat, mattermost, matrix/element, webex, slack. talk seems to be the only one without it.

i think the team has really underestimated the end user requirement for this. when i have customers looking at messaging alternatives, talk never makes the cut because of no desktop client.

i’d love it if the team reconsidered this.

3 Likes

I suggest to all of you to have a look on an older similar subject:

And a bounty here if you want to encourage this development:
https://app.bountysource.com/issues/61616435-standalone-desktop-app?show_profile_modal=1

Seems like things got moving: GitHub - nextcloud/talk-desktop: 💬💻 Nextcloud Talk Desktop Client Preview

1 Like

Yes indeed ! :slight_smile: