Desktop Client 3.0.1 is here, 2nd beta of Nextcloud 20 and 1st beta of Talk 10

yes, I would much rather just talk about what’s new, but that would be shooting ourselves in the foot with the press. So we can’t.

But believe me, much of the changes are VERY obvious. Also, most of the most critical testing is to test upgrading. So if you make a backup of your current system and upgrade it to the beta and note no issues, you made a BIG contribution. If you note issues and report them, you also made a big contribution :wink:

Awesome. Had no trouble manually installing 10.0.0-beta1 on 20.0.0-beta3. Only issue is the system wanting to update Talk direct from the admin panel to beta2. Talk widget looks great. Drag and drop for re-arranging widgets is a nice touch.

1 Like

I upgraded to Desktop client 3.0.1 but I think it was a mistake as the old version did all I need. It defaulted to whinging about folders bigger than 500MB until I found the option to turn it off. Really 500MB is considered too big nowadays? I have 147GB synchronised to an RPI4!

It also lost one of my folder sync connections, so I had to make it again. Why?

Although it seems to be running in the background there is no system tray icon to access it. I can get the GUI up from the start menu but what happened to the system tray icon?

And the new activity view is too small to see my filenames and there doesn’t seem to be a way to resize it or move it from the top right corner as it is no longer a proper window on Win7.

Is it safe to go back to 2.6.5?

3 Likes

It is not about “big”. There should be a limit before auto synching new folders.

For your update problem:
You are responding to an automatically created news topic. Created by a bot.

Please do not add issue comments here. Please look for suitable category and add you content there if not already present.

Same on Mac OS - really annoying, especially since clicking on a file with a sync error doesnt lead you to the file anymore, it leads me to our nextclouds login page, after login, nothing to check the files

2 Likes

I went back to 2.6.5 and it works fine again, with a system tray icon that brings up a proper window that can be resized and moved. I will stick with that as I can’t see any reason to update a file sync application that correctly synchronises files.

These are not new folders, they were already synced with the previous version. The update must have switched back on the warning, unticked some of the folders and removed some of the connections.

1 Like

Also going back to old client on the mac - anybody happens to have download folders at hand?

Found old version, works perfect in that regard, so strange that major updates break basic functionalities sometimes…

1 Like

@jospoortvliet Where can I write a ticket for the new dashboard app? Didn’t found an app specific repository. In the server repo? The dashboard doesn’t work here. Generates just a white page with a logo and an avatar.

@lars-becker I just asked about this as well and seems we should be using the main server repo.

1 Like

I removed the new version for this reason and downloaded 2.6.5 from https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/releases/Windows/ and installed that.
Did not have to re-add accounts. They were still there and everything works fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

About the downgrade; lot’s of work to be done by hand - or a so to say simple un-/ and reinstall?

I’ve just updated and the 3.0.1 produces issues like f…

RH

Just run the 3.0.1 installer, select remove to uninstall, run the 2.6.5 installer and that’s it.

BlueMail voor Android downloaden
Op 9 sep. 2020, om 20:12, Rufio Hugo via Nextcloud community <noreply@nextcloud.com> schreef:

client 3.0.1 just install and just desinstall on mac and go back 2.6.5
what this “bouiboui” !!!
view is too small
synchronise all the folder by default
when we want to correct conflict, open the web cloud instead of go to the file in the finder

nothing good in this view!!

3 Likes

Same problems here, downgrading helped.

I really wonder why such a client was put out (301), especially it being the first correction of a major version. really damages the nextcloud experience.

1 Like

Also back in 2.6.5. Will wait some time until upgrading again.

I downvote 3.0.1 as well. They should return the functionality of 2.6.5 and fix the bugs.

Please make sur that all the bugs you found were reported to the bugtracker and contain all relevant information to reproduce the bug (Issues · nextcloud/desktop · GitHub) so that the developer scan fix the issue.

1 Like

How does alternative token authentication work on the 3.0.1 desktop client?

Thanks for any guidance! Haven’t found documentation.