"Colabora online" vs "Onlyofice"

I donā€™t want to be rude, but this script is sourcing another one from a remote location in one line:

So this is really an untrusty way of doing things.

@Glandos Did you notice itā€™s the same repo?

2 Likes

I just started to evaluate collabora but I run into a blocking feature: docker-only. So, I started to read about docker again to catch the benefits for my use case. There is no one. So, collabora gone.
Anyway, my opinion, using docker for collabora is not about technology, but business model. It is acceptable, no problem, my only opinion, lot of people just cancel to use it:

• because it is docker-only
  • looks-like-proprietary (4example: user limit)
  • docker/collabora sucks, no way to debug or solve problem alone
  • for my use case, the complexity of the system getting higher with docker and put a high risk on the server (even I did not plan to deploy docker on bare metalā€¦ no wayā€¦ google this: docker problems)
  • the rest about collabore are theoretical for me, because now I give onlyoffice a try
2 Likes

Collabora Online is not docker-only, the source packages of the docker image are freely available at https://www.collaboraoffice.com/repos/CollaboraOnline/CODE/ (.deb packages for Ubuntu 16.04).
Users can rebuild the docker image, and debug as they like, because the source Dockerfile is also freely available at https://github.com/CollaboraOnline/Docker-CODE
Collabora Online is open source & free software. CODE binary have user limit, which makes it suitable for home or small business use only.

1 Like

Thank you Timar for your quick answer and more precise information than I found in my quick-tour.
In this case, I will check collabora, too.
Using proxmox/zfs/lxc_or_kvm :wink:

With the .deb packages available for collabora, would it be different to point Nextcloud and the integration app to it? Iā€™d like to run CODE on Ubuntu 16.04 without docker

Are they both exactly the same functionalities?
Perhaps the Colabora does it have the ability to edit more documents?

Colabora require the Docker for installation via the Nextcloud ( from apps ) ?

Colabora run more efficiently by the system? It also uses fewer resources than the OnlyOffice ?

Very nice that there is a variety of choices.
Is there another option?

Why are you said that the installation is difficult? Do you not install that through the Nextcloud via the apps menu?

I use both with docker, because there is less mess in the main system.
If I remove one then its gone without some leftovers.
Collabora has less features but uses fewer resources, and as far as I saw
onlyoffice does not support editing documents when you send a shared link to anyone.
Collabora does that.

No you canā€™t install both only via the app menu you have to do manual work for both in the backend.
Onlyoffice is less demanding with the apache/nginx config.

Yes this is a very nice feature!!
But Iā€™ve read very little things about Docker , while experimenting often with servers to learnā€¦Unfortunately i have not worked yet with this. Do you suggest me a good start with this?

To i fully understandā€¦ :
If I go to the app page as an administrator and click Enable here , this plugin will not be activated?

What is the procedure required to install it? Is there any reference/documentation?

In your server you have installed the Nextcloud through the Docker?

Thanks you.

The plugin is only a connector to the office-tool you chose.
I have setup NC without docker because its just a webapp with mysql,
so it doesnā€™t leave much garbage in the system.

The documentation is on the nc mainpage if you choose collabora, or on the onlyoffice page if you want oo.

Btw there are some scripts and manuals here in the forum, that both should work without docker, but that is pretty complicated.

lol
maybe he already noticed, but the silence is the best answer.
Gonna try the script in a test server.
Thanks in advance for your work and for sharing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

As names said, collabora only ARE ONLINE and required many thing that are not fully integrated with server vendor softwareā€¦ so administrators does not have real control of security bugsā€¦

onlyoffice can be installet complety offline that very usefully for a intranet only networkā€¦

sorry but collabora online need onluine resources that administrators does not have real control

which one for example?

1. Sorry, but to make it fully clear, If I click on the ā€œEnableā€ button of the add-on, it will not be installed immediately, easily and correctly like all the others?

2. Do you think that if I do not install it through Docker it will be harder?

What do you mean with that?

1. correct.

2. that depends on your system and which kernel and filesystem driver for docker are you using.

as you said!

collabora install as a docker, if you try to do witout that, still some things are get from networkā€¦ as many post said in this ā€¦

personally i prefer a well integrated with vendor provided software, so then if any security fix are released, i not to be to install the complete enviroment and only the specific lib/component from vendorā€¦

if you mean the old googleapis includes or the cloudflarestuff, they removed that. So you can run it in a closed network now too.

I have ONLYOFFICE running with docker: Docker: ONLYOFFICE not reached. Please contact admin

But have still some bugs:

• No file converting possible
  • Sometimes looses data
  • Downloaded Onlyoffice files not working in LibreOffice
  • tbc.

But I think I have to fix the mounting options because I did not mount all recommended folders inside docker container ā€¦

can you give me more details about that part with that the files wont work in LO?
The conversion thing fits for both, and which data loss did you get?

See here: OnlyOffice and document versions