Can't access outside my home

Funny, run Nextcloud behind Google Mesh - everything gets scanned anyway. :smiley:

Sorry for OT.

2 Likes

Okay, I just got off the phone with Google support. They confirmed that I went about opening ports 80 and 443 correctly (these are supposed to be TCP ports, right?) IpV4. Here’s how I configured both:

[Screenshots removed]

If I do a “ping [IP address]” from within my house I get 9ms response times; if on the other hand I log onto the internet through my phone’s wi-fi hotspot and give the same command it just times out.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking? GF

The 192.168.86.122 is the internal ip of your nc server in your network, you can not ping that from outside. You have to find out your public ip and use that

You can use a service like https://www.whatismyip.com/

In most cases this ip is dynamic and may change frequently, then u need to set up some dynamic dns service.

If you still can not reach it, you could receive a pooled or nated ip adress from your provider

Hmmm… OK, that might just be the problem. I had set up a FREEDNS address which resolves to [ip address removed] . Is there something else I should do that will actually work? :slight_smile:

Get your public ip, and let it point there. Check if your router can be set to update the freedns entry, otherwise you need to get the update script from their site and let the nc server do it. But that is only neccessary if u have a dynamic ip and wont help for pooled or nated ip adresses

Okay, let me figure out how to do that! I’m coming to believe that I have a NAT’d IP address and that Google Mesh Router doesn’t let you alter anything NAT-related. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

GF

If you have a nated ip you cant do anything about it, as this is a provider thing mostly thre case with mobile consumer internet connections, then you need to get a bussiness contract for a real ip. DSL provider sometimes give out pooled adresses, there you usually can cal support and they will “unpool” you.

Hmmm… why aren’t more people running into this problem?

Did you already get your ip address via the link i set you?

They are, but most nextcloud useres are a bit more network savy than you and know what to do there

Yes, my public IP address is [address deleted]. (Although when I ping that through my mobile phone that times out too.)

I’m getting rather frustrated. Who can I hire to set this up for me?

What kind is your internet provider? Mobile, DSL or Cable?

Cable. Specifically Spectrum.

You are reachable via that ip, i have just connected and get the trusted domain warning.

Btw, you can only connect to that ip from outside your network…

How did you connect? I switched to my mobile phone’s data (so I’m outside my home network) and I did a 'ping [ip address] and it just times out.

Just enter the ip in a browser

Seems like your router does not respond to ping calls

Well I’ll be! Okay, that’s progress.

(The router responds to ping calls from the inside. :slight_smile: )

So there are now two more questions:

1. I’ve just updated https://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/ to point to this new IP address. Do I have to wait 48 hours before it resolves?

2. Once we get 1) above working, do you think the Lets Encrypt certificate will then be granted without error?

Okay, question #1 was just answered. Going through my mobile phone, I typed in friedmanarchives.mooo.com into a browser and sure enough the user page came up!

Question #3: My public IP address is subject to change from time to time; is there a way to have the DNS automatically update?

You should btw remove the ip adress and the domain name from the forum for security reasons.

You can set up freedns inside ncp settings page by going here: https://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/
There is a “direct link”, this contains the update hash for freedns

1 Like