Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): debian 12
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx latest
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1

The issue you are facing:

some files mostly excel files show this error: @page { margin: 2cm }

• Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you. after upgrading to this version. this is in office and when trying to download.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y):

Steps to replicate it:

1. upgrade your nextcloud installation from nc 25 to nc 26 and instantly upgrade to nc 27

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

{"reqId":"yp1Vo3iurMSVYADqsNbo","level":3,"time":"2023-07-25T13:06:03+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.5.14","user":"pandacraft","app":"webdav","method":"GET","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/pandacraft/PixelHosting/Ipmanager.xlsx","message":"Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.9.0stable-Win64 (build 20230613) (Nextcloud, windows-10.0.22000 ClientArchitecture: x86_64 OsArchitecture: x86_64)","version":"27.0.1.2","exception":{"Exception":"OC\\Encryption\\Exceptions\\DecryptionFailedException","Message":"Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Stream/Encryption.php","line":517,"function":"decrypt","class":"OCA\\Encryption\\Crypto\\Encryption","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Stream/Encryption.php","line":316,"function":"readCache","class":"OC\\Files\\Stream\\Encryption","type":"->"},{"function":"stream_read","class":"OC\\Files\\Stream\\Encryption","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/icewind/streams/src/Wrapper.php","line":55,"function":"fread"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/icewind/streams/src/CallbackWrapper.php","line":96,"function":"stream_read","class":"Icewind\\Streams\\Wrapper","type":"->"},{"function":"stream_read","class":"Icewind\\Streams\\CallbackWrapper","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/http/lib/Sapi.php","line":110,"function":"stream_copy_to_stream"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":490,"function":"sendResponse","class":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Sapi","type":"::"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":253,"function":"invokeMethod","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":321,"function":"start","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php","line":364,"function":"exec","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php","line":35,"function":"exec","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/var/www/nextcloud/remote.php","line":172,"args":["/var/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"/var/www/nextcloud/apps/encryption/lib/Crypto/Encryption.php","Line":398,"Hint":"Kan dit bestand niet ontcijferen, waarschijnlijk is het een gedeeld bestand, Vraag de eigenaar om het bestand opnieuw met je te delen.","message":"Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.","exception":[],"CustomMessage":"Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you."},"id":"64bfc8e7b21ff"}

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'REMOVED',
  'passwordsalt' => 'REMOVED',
  'secret' => 'REMOVED',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'REMOVED',
    1 => '192.168.5.36',
    2 => 'REMOVED',
    3 => '192.168.5.173',
  ),
  'allow_local_remote_servers' => true,
  'datadirectory' => '/opt/nextcloud-data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '27.0.1.2',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'REMOVED',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud_db',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'REMOVED',
  'dbpassword' => 'REMOVED',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'cloud',
  'mail_domain' => 'REMOVED',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'REMOVED',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'REMOVED',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'REMOVED',
  'app_install_overwrite' => 
  array (
    0 => 'radio',
    1 => 'impersonate',
    2 => 'extract',
    3 => 'quicknotes',
    4 => 'ransomware_protection',
    5 => 'cms_pico',
    6 => 'files_downloadactivity',
  ),
  'maintenance' => false,
  'preview_max_memory' => 1024,
  'preview_max_x' => 512,
  'preview_max_y' => 512,
  'preview_max_scale_factor' => 1,
  'default_phone_region' => 'NL',
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'overwritehost' => 'REMOVED',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => '/var/run/redis/redis-server.sock',
    'port' => 0,
    'dbindex' => 0,
    'timeout' => 1.5,
  ),
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' => 
  array (
    0 => 'PixelHosting',
    1 => 'admin',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
  'enabledPreviewProviders' => 
  array (
    1 => 'OC\\Preview\\Movie',
    2 => 'OC\\Preview\\PNG',
    3 => 'OC\\Preview\\JPEG',
    4 => 'OC\\Preview\\GIF',
    5 => 'OC\\Preview\\BMP',
    6 => 'OC\\Preview\\XBitmap',
    7 => 'OC\\Preview\\MP3',
    8 => 'OC\\Preview\\MP4',
    9 => 'OC\\Preview\\TXT',
    10 => 'OC\\Preview\\MarkDown',
    11 => 'OC\\Preview\\PDF',
    12 => 'OC\\Preview\\MKV',
    13 => 'OC\\Preview\\MSOffice2003',
    14 => 'OC\\Preview\\MSOffice2007',
    15 => 'OC\\Preview\\MSOfficeDoc',
    16 => 'OC\\Preview\\OpenDocument',
    17 => 'OC\\Preview\\StarOffice',
  ),
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
  'trusted_proxies' => 
  array (
    0 => '127.0.0.1',
    1 => '::1',
    2 => '192.168.5.173',
  ),
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

no logs

no logs

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

{"reqId":"KF7Ybfm6Rb6FJtSYvCBI","level":3,"time":"2023-07-25T13:06:53+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.5.14","user":"pandacraft","app":"no app in context","method":"GET","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/pandacraft/PixelHosting/Ipmanager.xlsx","message":"Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.9.0stable-Win64 (build 20230613) (Nextcloud, windows-10.0.22000 ClientArchitecture: x86_64 OsArchitecture: x86_64)","version":"27.0.1.2","data":[],"id":"64bfca03d3d0f"}
1 Like

I’ve got the same issue, after the same steps.
ALL office files are destroyed after the upgrade. This is a serious issue.
Did you manage to fix this?

1 Like

Created an account to share that this is also happening to my installation. Upgraded from 26.0.4 → 27.0.1 using docker image and can no longer open my documents. After an attempt to open them, I can no longer access them. Downloading them before attempting to open them allows me to save the file.

I’m assuming it’s got something to do with the default encryption module?

I’ve got the same problem, I can also no longer open/download my documents. Getting the same error

Similar issue here with 27.0.0 upgraded from previous versions.
Some shares seems destroyed.

New shares, have a strange behaviour: they can be seen online but not download.
For example I can read a TXT shared file, but if I download it I receive the error “Cannot decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.”

I can’t see any fixes for this on 27.0.1 or 27.0.2.
Basically now sharing is not working anymore.

1 Like

Same issue here.

Can confirm that the upgrade to 27.0.2 did not alleviate things either.

1 Like

Here are two threads on Github worth keeping an eye on.

2 Likes

Same here when upgrading to Nextcloud 27.0.2snap1.
Is there a solution to fix this yet?

Same issue here. This was my file but nextcloud seems to think they are shared.

Seeing similar issues reported by one user on my instance. I’m currently running 27.1.5

some news about this? I have same issue here. v 27.1.2 with files that are not shared.

have you fixed this?

1 Like

Any news to this topic? I got stuck solving this problem.