Can you prevent group members from modifying base directory but allow everything in subfolders?

Hi there,

I am currently trying to restrict group members from creating new folders and uploading files in the base directory of their group’s folder but allowing them to do anything in subfolders.

My NextCloud setup provides user groups with group folders which have a set folder structure (like a Linux “/home” folder with subfolders for Documents, Download, Pictures, etc). Now I would like to disallow all members of the group to upload directly into the base directory and to create new folders there. They should still, however, have the ability to upload files and create whatever folders they like INSIDE the pre-defined subfolders. Is anything like this possible with NextCloud or with additional apps?

Thanks in advance for any help!

p.s.: I have seen workarounds like “setting user quota to 0” (Is there a way to limit creating of folders in Home except for the Admin account?), but that’s not it. :frowning:

I am not sure. But I don’t think that’s possible.

Even though it probably won’t help you. But if you would use the app Guests, you could share individual folders with them without them being able to change the folders themselves. (video)

Thanks for the quick reply! The Guests app won’t work I think. There will be too many users per group and groups on the server to share everything individually :frowning:

1 Like