Budget App - any interest?

I’ve seen Personal accounting app and https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/cospend but so far I see no general nextcloud app for budgeting as an alternative to paid services like Mint which harvests your data mercilessly, or YNAB and EveryDollar which are very good and privacy-respecting, but are still paid services you have no control over.

I think a native budget app that integrates with NextCloud would be a great way for individuals, families, and small organizations to collaborate on budgeting. I’m a developer willing to invest time in this but I’m not willing to “go it alone”. Is there anyone else with an interest in seeing this happen?

6 Likes

was discussed before. Would be indeed nice to have, but best would be something that integrates with a existing open source solution; best one that currently doesn’t have a nice server side component or web-interface.

Edit: ah you mentioned it… but why start a new thread? Just reply to the old one.

I will, thanks.

I would be interested. I’ve been using YNAB for a few years, since before they switched to a web app/subscription model. I was disappointed to see my data move to their servers, but YNAB continues to be very helpful to me and my family.

We also still maintain our account detail in Quicken. (Not one of Quicken’s web-based apps, but the actual Quicken installed software.) I’ve looked into migrating the Quicken data to GnuCash with the thought of building a web front end to GnuCash and using GnuCash as a back end to a budgeting tool. But I haven’t started work on that yet. And you’re right that Nextcloud might be the right platform to build on.

What’s the next step?

2 Likes

I’ll get in touch with you!

I stumbled on this thread looking for exactly what you are talking about: a decent personal finance app hosted out of Nextcloud. I’ve been using YNAB and want to do more household accounting, but not with products like Quicken, Mint, etc.

I would be very interested in using the app you’re proposing.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a good budget app for quite a while now. I don’t have the skills to build it, but I’d be available to test it.
I have used Toshl (https://toshl.com) in the past, the UI/UX was really good, but I like my privacy.
So anything that can help me track my expenses would be good.

1 Like

A budget app would be awesome in NC!

A budget app which allows for tags/categories so that a small business can separate home and business income/expenses. If this was shown/viewed/filtered on a daily and weekly basis then it would be handy for both home and business users.

A feature to export the entries to pdf/xls/csv would be good.

1 Like

I would like to see a budget app too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe someone with developing skills can integrate/port Financier (a YNAB offline clon) with NextCloud.

There are forks for selfhosting:

1 Like

I’d also love some kind of accounting app for Nextcloud

If somebody starts a project to implement this idea, i would like to help with development and testing :+1:

1 Like

+1

Was looking for this!

Hello folks,

has this idea evolved?

Also interested in something like this. I have migrated most of my home and business over to Nextcloud and could use this feature!

I’m working on a personal accounting app based on HLedger that supports budgeting. I started using HLedger as an alternative to Mint and YNAB about a year ago.

I’m using an Android app with WebDAV sync instead:

Hello everyone!
NC enthusiast here, working in videomaking.
On movies this paid budgeting app is being used:

Adapting Cospend to mimic some of the DPO features would be a killing!!!
Cheers,
TR