Bookmarks app with floccus creates extra items and missing others

The Bookmarks folder in the files section is mostly irrelevant to bookmark syncing. If you want to access your bookmarks on your phone you have the option to use floccus with Kiwi Browser or use a dedicated android app for nextcloud bookmarks. The normal nextcloud android app will not be any help with bookmarks.

I don’t know what’s happening now.

I removed all Bookmarks folders, both in the files section and in the bookmark app section on nextcloud.

I pushed bookmarks from the browser to the nextcloud. Then I synced up the other computers.

Now the Bookmarks Bar is back but only that. That is ok I can use it like this.

However, adding bookmarks to a browser just doesn’t stay put.

I add bookmarks it syncs and those bookmarks that I just manually added are gone from the browser again.

I don’t understand how this can happen at all.

AND AND AND Bookmarks folder is back in the files folders again.

Something isn’t right and I don’t know how to diagnose this. It’s simple app should be simple setup.

And Bookmarks folder in the file section isn’t the same as anything anywhere. Just a few links and nothing related to the actual browser bookmarks at all.

I don’t understand what is happening.

The Bookmarks app “settings” says to select archive but you only really get one choice in the files sections. This appears to be the /Bookmarks folder.

Strange there is no Bookmarks bar to even select in the bookmarks app settings.
I can’t fix this and don’t know where to start.

I’m sorry. I can’t help you like this. Based on the misunderstandings I gathered so far, I assume there are more misunderstandings. I suggest you get someone good with technology to help you in person.

thanks.

It’s very hard to fix when it’s intermittent problems that seem to vary.

The main things that is very strange is that the nextcloud bookmark app itself only lets you select /Bookmarks in the settings itself. You can select another documents folder or some other folder listed in the files section only.

However, the bookmarks app / settings itself does not even reveal the bookmark folders in the bookmarks section of the app itself. See images of the bookmarks app settings = /Bookmarks
Then if you click that field is opens the files section and this is all you can select.
However, if that is the case then why doesn’t bookmarks get saved to this Bookmarks folder and that would be great. I see no reason why this Bookmarks folder isn’t present in the Bookmarks app section itself. So many questions and details about what I see on the screen that do not make sense.

I may have to export browser bookmarks and experiment from scratch without any imported bookmarks just to see what is causing all this craziness.

I do appreciate any input on this subject and it’s baffling and also interesting. Perhaps the app just doesn’t like my imported bookmarks which has been saved for like 20 years. Literally exporting them from browser to browser for 20 years LOL.
Oh well back to the drawing board. See images of my bookmark app and folders it’s weird.

Is this normal for the app ? Is this how yours works ?Screenshot (116)
Shows /Bookmarks folder in settings, then shows only files to select which has no relation to the folders that appear in the bookmark app. 2 different sets of folders for some reason.

Yes. That’s normal. Apparently the UX around the archived bookmarks / files bookmarks is not very clear. Please see this thread: How do the files bookmarks work?

I think I may have to start from scratch and perhaps NOT import bookmarks.

I don’t know why but things are just not working as expected.
I have a folder called Streaming for example. If I add or remove any bookmarks from there one computer shows it in the browser for a while but then disappears.
The other computers never add the bookmark.

Inside of Streaming there is another folder called “streaming other” this folder persists on all computers no matter what you do.
Delete “streaming other” it re-appears and on 2 computers it appears over and over again many times a huge list of the same folder called “streaming other”.

Then in addition if I just delete the entire folder called “Streaming” it will delete from my browser and from nextcloud “Bookmarks Bar” folder.

However, that folder still persists on 2 other computers.

I’m not sure what’s going on but I think I’ll start from scratch and report back. I’ll let nextcloud and floccus do stuff, remove all nextcloud folders for bookmarks and the app. Then reinstall and manually add bookmarks to the browser to see how things react or if the problem persists.

Thanks for the responses but I think I just need to experiment some. I know the nextcloud bookmarks installs and floccuss setting are correct.

So likely something saved and exported over the past 20 years is not desired by floccuss or nextcloud bookmarks for whatever the reason may be.
At least that’s all I can think of for now and then I’ll post back.

UPDATE:
I think it’s fixed.

So I turned off the floccus extension in the browser, then cleaned up the computers browser
Deleted the offending folder
Searched for duplicates and deleted them.
Went on nextcloud bookmarks and deleted them there.
Also removed the broken links because there was a lot.

This seems to have possibly fixed everything. Between broken links and some folder that floccuss didn’t like I think it’s fixed.
Thanks to all

I have lots of problems with Floccus never being able to finish synching for a folder I have with a good number of sub folders and bookmarks. It seems to get confused and puts folders within folders and each time it runs the problem get worse, the number of folders, folders and subfolders increase and in the end it just never completes. And then I had the Nextcloud CPU/dB maxing out. Deleting all bookmarks and disabling the Bookmark app and not using Flocuss is the only way I’ve found to allow Nextcloud the be stable.

There seem to be several people complaining about similar things in Floccus and the bookmarks app. Is anyone working on diagnosing this. It seems that people are being left to themselves deleting/cleaning up bookmarks instead of someone diagnosing what causes the problem in the first place,

It is also possible to use Floccus without the Bookmarks app by choosing “XBEL-File in WebDAV share” instead of “Nextcloud Bookmarks” when creating a new account in Floccus.

It’s hard to debug these issues, especially without direct access to the machines. I’m basically doing support for free on a best effort basis, so please forgive me if not everything is solved ASAP.

1 Like

Good to know. However, it not clear (at least to me) whether Floccus is party to causing the problems regarding duplication and corruption of bookmarks or whether it’s the bookmarks app itself or some interaction of the two (or something else). I’d love. To help diagnose but the issues bring my Nextcloud install (and the whole server) to its knees.

I also just updated to 23.0.2. I’m not sure if there is anything in that release that would have any impact on any of these problems.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what causes your issues. I updated my Nextcloud server to 23.0.2 yesterday and haven’t noticed any issues so far. I use Floccus on two computers and on my phone regularly with the Bookmarks app as a backend.

I haven’t had any issues with 23.0.2 either but that is without running Bookmarks and Floccus. All of these problems started mid January for me when I was running on 22.x.x with no apparent change in my environment. I then went thru the various upgrades to 23.0.2 since then with no change until I disabled bookmarks and stopped using Floccus. I’d love to help diagnose but the problem is so severe it makes my environment at the server I’m running on unusable.

My gut says it’s something to do with corrupt bookmark entries but how did that happen and how to avoid in the future. And how do I salvage what I can from. My bookmarks without starting from scratch

Not sure if that helps… But there are import/export buttons and a button to delete all bookmarks in the settings of the Nextcloud Bookmarks app. Also Floccus has options to initate one way syncs, either push or pull. I would try to delete all boomarks in the app and then re-sync them from your browser or re-imort them from the previously exported file. Just make sure you have backups of all your bookmarks from your browser and from the app before you going to delete anything or start messing with the diffrent sync options.

I have founds that most of my problems were from adding accounts to floccus on different computers instead of copying the account.

There is a difference in function and also normal sync vs pull.

I don’t know how your bookmarks originated. If on nextcloud FIRST or if you “push sync” to nextcloud.

I think it’s worth experimenting if you can export to file for backup.

What I did was to import to nextcloud first and it looked good from what I could tell, but when I added floccus to other computers this is what started to give me problems.

So I don’t know why the differences but it seems to me that letting nextcloud dictate at first instead of the browser being in control.

What I mean by this is that if You export browser bookmarks, then import to nextcloud, then add account but let floccus pull only. Then I think normal sync and folders should function as they are suppose to .

Then if you add computers I would literally delete all bookmarks from that computer, then “copy account” with floccus “copy account” selection.

Something about adding account gave issue for me. So I exported bookmarks and passwords, then imported bookmarks to nextcloud.

Delete all browser bookmarks and add account to floccus and either pull or normal sync should work perfect.

However, when setting up other computers I would delete bookmarks, and copy account.
You will need to copy account feature on subsequent computers too.

This process has worked flawless for me after playing around and getting duplicate folders files etc.

Hope this helps.

copy account

As in copy the firefox profile? :open_mouth:

Thanks Captain. I’ll give it’s a try.

I was going to ask about what ‘Copy account’ meant also

So things seem to be getting worse. I was going to try and follow the suggestions from Captain86. This is what I did:

1. Re-enabled the bookmarks app.
  2. Tried importing some bookmarks into a Nextcloud account (it happened to be the admin account which I’d never used for booksmarks before). The bookmarks were imported fine and I could delete them, use them etc. DIdn’t try and synch them. Everything looked good
  3. Then wanted to try the account I use day to day - the one that has had the booksmarks problems described previously. When I opened the bookmarks app within this account the bookmarks app opens but the hourglass spins forever until I get an error "This webpage is having a problem’ error page .
  4. I tried disabling and re-enabling the bookmarks app. No change, same endless hourglass eventually followed by error message
  5. I tried removing the bookmarks app and reinstalling. Same problem.

Does this suggest some form of corruption of the bookmarks tables in the dB for that account?

How do I fix this?

More information. Assuming the tables relevant to the booksmarks app are the ones starting with oc_bookmarks…

The oc_bookmarks table contains 17 rows. They are all for my wifes Nextcloud user ID. The bookmarks app works fine for that user ID and I can see the 17 bookmarks in the bookmarks app. So far so good. There are no entries in this table for the user ID (mine) which has problems

The oc_bookmarks_folders table most more than 18k rows which all seem to be for the user ID with problems

The oc_boomarks_root_folders has three entries (one for each of the user Id’s which have used bookmarks). Interestingly the user_ID with problems has ‘1’ in the ‘Locked’ field vs Null for the other 2 user ID’s

There are 18k rows in the oc_bookmarks_tree table

All of the other oc_bookmarks tables are empty

Looks to me like the folders and tree tables have erroneous records in them that need to be deleted?

Would it be safe just to delete all rows in all of the oc_bookmarks tables so I can start fresh? Looks like there is an ‘Empty the table(truncate)’ command in phpmyadmin page that I have access to thru my shared hosting service. So I think I could use that to clear out all of the oc_bookmarks tables without having to resort to SQL commands