Announcing Nextcloud Hub 3 - Brand New Design and Photos 2.0 with Editor and AI

Thanks a lot for your sweet message! As Frank said in the keynote, itā€™s a misconception that AI has such a large performance impact. Bottom line the performance improved in this release in a significant and noticeable way. We design for any instance scale. But of course itā€™s a bit of a layered question, because if one is responsible for an instance of so many users one should also get a support contract so the team can help fast in case of trouble :wink:

or maybe Iā€™m opinionated as I manage our support team haha!

3 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m sorry. Something was wrong and I saw Nextcloud photos app loading original 6MB photos. Now it works as expected. Sorry for confusing.

2 Likes

Sorry Daphne, I have bad news about this, the performance (RC3) is very poor compared with NC24. For example, I need >3 minutes just to enter then new mail app (about 15 seconds with the old one, and sincerely I use Rainloop in production because is much faster). The login to NC is also noticeable slower. Etc.

The new theme is very nice but for example I need to reload the page one or two times just to get all the icons for files and folders (in files app).

I love the new look&feel butā€¦Iā€™ve downgraded to NC24 since NC25 for me has a very poor performance, donā€™t know if there is some about my installation, will try the next RC.

Itā€™s all great news, but somehow we donā€™t find many of the announced features. We have Nextcloud 25.0.0 RC3 with Contacts 5.0.0-rc1 and Talk 15.0.0-rc.3 installed, but somehow the following features are nowhere to find:

1. Talk: Set messages to expire
  2. Talk: Menu button to create poll
  3. Contacts: Button to show the organisational chart

Anyone aware what weā€™re doing wrong/missing to see?

Iā€™m using Nextcloud AIO in the Docker. What tag should I use to test Hub 3, please?

https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one#how-to-switch-the-channel

But I wouldnā€™t recommend doing this on your main production instance.

I have already tried the beta channel, but I still have NC 24.0.6. This instance is for testing purposes only.

They are there. THe org chart might now be visible because the contacts might not have a Manager added on the contact card. Once you do you should see this:

Screenshot from 2022-10-10 16-13-46

Ths stuff in talk should be visible as soon as you have talk 15rc installed:

Screenshot from 2022-10-10 16-13-00

3 Likes

AIO does not offer a way to test Beta or RC versions of Nextcloud.

2 Likes

I think there is no official docker image with the beta version. If you install the beta on a hosted service you will get Hub 3 but not Photos 2.0 yet.

2 Likes

If you want to test beta releases I would recommend to setup a dedicated VM for that purpose and do a manual installation. There are plenty of guides out there on how to setup a Nextcloud server manually, like for example this one Build an Awesome Nextcloud Server (Updated for Ubuntu 22.04!) ā€“ Learn Linux TV

1 Like

Message expiration has been around for some time. All those things are in the menu afaik.

1 Like

Itā€™s in the settings for the room/channel. And itā€™s new for talk 15 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @SmallOne, indeed you led me one step in the right direction, but still the issue is not solved: Iā€™m now finding the two TALK options, but only with an admin account. Regular Nextcloud users donā€™t see ā€œcreate pollā€ and ā€œmessage expirationā€.

Both options are not available in 1-to-1-conversations. Did you test in 1-1 or in group conversations?

Expire is in the settings for 1-1 chats

Polls are for group chats

They should be visible on the web and on the 15 rc clients

Pretty sure it shouldnā€™t be there ā€¦ I just looked again and itā€™s only available for group conversations (web and talk-ios). Where do you see that option for 1-1?

@SysKeeper @tim.s Would you mind sharing some screenshots since you are having difficulty with finding these options.

Thank you - I can find that option, but it is disabled in code for 1-1 conversations, so Iā€™m wondering @SmallOne sees :face_with_monocle:

Android 15 rc3 ā€¦ It might be a bug in the android app ā€¦ After checking with my browser on the computer it is not there :slight_smile:

1 Like