25.0.0rc2, 24.0.6rc1, 23.0.10rc1

@eehmke - Sorry, that still doesnā€™t work for me. Hmmmā€¦

Did you consider looking through past pasting of this error on the forum and Github? afaik, you have previously enabled and then disabled the server encryption module.

Search results for 'Invalid private key for encryption app. Please update your private key password in your personal settings to recover access to your encrypted files' - Nextcloud community.

@just - I restored a backup of my system that was made prior to this error condition so I am good now. However, I donā€™t recall ever selecting anything to be encrypted, so I donā€™t know what any encryption key would ever be needed for my installation.

1 Like

Hi all im working on updating from RC2 to RC3 and im still getting this. HAs this been fixed ?

1 Like

Clearly not fixed, at least for you.

1 Like

I think it should be fixed for RC4.

1 Like

Additional you need to delete the .step file in the data folder. Just did this today to upgrade from RC1 to RC2.

@AndyXheli - are you by any chance using PHP 8.1? I am and Iā€™m getting the same error as you. Iā€™m also seeing some odd messages in the nextcloud.log file about deprecated event type?

Did you check your errors and odd messages against those reported to the nextcloud server github repo?

Hey @Alexander_Robinson1 no im running
PHP 8.0.24 (cli) (built: Sep 29 2022 22:26:48) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.0.24, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v8.0.24, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

Thereā€™s an open issue on github [Bug]: NC 25 error when trying upgrade from beta 7 to RC1 with GUI Ā· Issue #34201 Ā· nextcloud/server Ā· GitHub

so if anyone is having issues please make your updates there.

Apologies all, but I am rather confused by this:
a) I cannot find the value in the admin screen anywhere but of course I can run the code any I get:
Insert as ā€œupdater.secretā€: something _really_long
The plaintext value is: something_else_really_long
b) I then edit the config/config.php file and overwrite update.secret with something_really_long
c) then restart apache2 and php8.1-fpm
d) do I then either
i] enter my password or something_different into web update screen
ii] restart the webupdate process, i.e. go back to the previous screen

also I cannot find any .step file

how do I best proceed ?

thank you

I use php8.1 and the server side encryption app has not been enabled

@John30k did yout try that : " Instead of clicking that button you can now invoke the command line based updater by going into the updater/ directory in the Nextcloud directory and executing the updater.phar as the web server user. (i.e. sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar)"
from Upgrade via built-in updater ā€” Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

works fine for me.

yip thanks, I tried that about 30 minutes ago :grinning:

@thierry1 - thanks! The manual update command worked for me.

FYI: Maintenance releases 24.0.6 and 23.0.10 are out, plus Hub 3 RC3!

1 Like

Didnā€™t work for me. I get the message

root@box:~# sudo -u www-data php /opt/mailcow-dockerized/data/web/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar
Nextcloud Updater - version: v25.0.0beta3-17-gef6cf2d

Could not find config.php. Is this file in the "updater" subfolder of Nextcloud?

The Nextcloud instance I use for testing was installed by the Mailcow Helper script Nextcloud - mailcow: dockerized documentation

When you watch the output closely you spot:

Could not find config.php. Is this file in the "updater" subfolder of Nextcloud?

=> run it from within your nextcloud root directory, otherwise the updater will not know where to find your config.php.

I tried running it from the Nextcloud root folder, but I git the same message, could not find config.php Maybe there is something special with Mailcowā€™s Nextcloud installation?

You are using php8.1-fpm. Are you certain 8.1 is not the culprit? As others has stated here, they see same behavior when running php8.1

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.