"You don't have permission to upload files to this folder"

Hey guys,

I’ve migrated an instance of Owncloud to Nextcloud and everything seems to work properly, except the upload method with Android. I installed the app (Nextcloud beta), setup autoupload, and make an screenshot to check if the autoupload works. Instead of a successfully upload, it showed me a notification with the text:

“You don’t have permission to upload files to this folder”

I don’t know exactly how to fix this because I check the permissions and it seems to be perfect (I can upload everything with web UI with the same user). Since the permissions notification, when I open the app, it shows a log screen, the app does not work anymore (I’ve reinstalled it but nothing). Here is the log text:

************ CAUSE OF ERROR ************

android.app.RemoteServiceException: can't deliver broadcast
	at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1650)
	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6126)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:886)
	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:776)

************ DEVICE INFORMATION ***********
Brand: OnePlus
Device: OnePlus2
Model: ONE A2003
Id: NMF26Q
Product: OnePlus2

************ FIRMWARE ************
SDK: 25
Release: 7.1.1
Incremental: 33f7323772

The stable version simply does not work since I setup it (it shows a popup with the text “The application Nextcloud has stopped working”.

Can someone help me with this? :confounded:

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Apparently fixed with Strong Permissions script:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/installation_wizard.html#strong-perms-label

Regards.

It seems to give the same error again, so it does not work.

Hi @p33ps,

I am not an expert on this topic but imho this is likely a server issue.
@MorrisJobke any ideas?

It’s very strange but cannot find a solution :confounded:

Does the upload folder exist on your NC server?

Hi,

Yes, of course it exists. With the last version it starts to work again but I don’t know if it will keep working in the next days.

This is then something which is related to the server side since it handles the permission(checks). The Android client just tries to up/download files. If the error comes up again (we all hope it doesn’t), the server team is probably more capable of solving this issue.

Okay, I hope it too :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help!

You are very welcome, sorry I couldn’t really be of any help :frowning: