X265 video has no picture (HEVC / HEIF), only sound on Microsoft Edge 120, okay in latest Chrome

Support intro

So S23 Ultra records HDR10 H265 video, which I upload to Nextcloud. I cannot view it in Edge. The videos have thumbnails, but when clicked upon then it starts to play, but only sound, no video. I have this extension installed which enables X265 playback on Edge ( h265ify - Microsoft Edge Addons), verified via https://html5test.com/. Firefox doesn’t play at all, but this is to be expected (no HEVC support). On the other hand, in Google Chrome, everything works, HEIF image motion pictures (these doesn’t also work in Edge 120) are shown and the HEVC HDR10 videos are being played.

This isn’t a server issue, this is somewhat a browser issue with how Nextcloud presents the file to browser, or I don’t know.

I just want to use Edge normally.

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.1.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker Hub production image
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Docker Hub production image
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Docker Hub production image

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

1. Upload x265 video from S23 Ultra
  2. View it in Edge :slight_smile: … no image, only sound

If you can download the file and then drag (open) it in your browser and get the same behavior, it’s a HEVC+Edge browser matter (and thus not Nextcloud related).

It was the browser thing. Anyway, Edge updated and now plays the x265 video BUT sideways. Chrome has portrait photo portrait, but Edge plays portrait photo landscape.

I can see this almost working :slight_smile:

This rotation error should be somekind of video tag rotation thing

1 Like