Wrong Icon Colors for not so dark bg colors

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.3 AIO
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 12
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Docker AIO latest
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Docker AIO latest

The issue you are facing: After official migration from 27.1.3 to 28.0.3, icon colors are now wrong for a set of colors (n>3)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y, right after migration.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to “Theming”
  2. Choose a not-so-dark-yet-not-bright-enough color (like orange, yellow, whatever)
  3. Expected results: white icons should start showing up way sooner than the new threshold, imho
  4. Actual results: icons are black for the official UI, but are OK for anything related to additional GUI-managing apps (like Custom Menu)

Here is a small set of hexa codes for which I believe this should really not happen (since they are taken from the main official presets):

• #BF678B
  • #C98879
  • #6EA68F
  • #3794AC

My opinion is that it really is subjective to the end user, and not really linked to hue, darkness, or even whether browser or os is in Dark mode or not. I think this is really personal and hence I would suggest to integrate it as a separate setting in Theming: Foreground color.

What is interesting is that switching from Light to Dark reverses the secondary color, making it either lighter or darker than the main color. Yet, the color of the icons on the main top MenuBar stays the same (which makes sense to me, but again, it’s probably very personal).

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Not relevant

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

Not relevant

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Not relevant

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

Not relevant