Wipe off my local folders

Hi,
I have a big problem. Due to a problem with my config, I reinstalled everything. However, I restarted the sync app too rapidly without too much thinking. In literally a second, it wipe off all the content of my local folders (since the nextcloud server was empty). Does those files are somewhere where I can recuperate them? It just deleted from computer without being put in cache somewhere? By any chance, a “undo” possible for this kind of wrong error?
Thanks

Hi @mel47

I fear this way your data is really lost. If the files were deleted on either side via a user interface (your file browser or the web interface) the files would end up in the trash (of your system or your Nextcloud instance) but this way the files just “vanished” from the server and the client keeps that in sync.

/Simon

There is nothing to undo server side since you reinstalled everything. You could possibly recover your local files using some utility like Recuva, but mileage will definitely vary.

It’s very important to have a backup of your data. Nextcloud is not a substitute for backing up.

Did you also reset the client on the computer by removing the account and setting up a brand new sync? If you don’t do this, the client may look at the server and assume all files were deleted and then try to replicate those changes.

The client does need to have a sanity check where it aborts the sync if all local files will be wiped. This is a bit of an oversight…

Thanks. Fortunately I found a previous backup.

It’s very important to have a backup of your data. Nextcloud is not a substitute for backing up.

I was aware server data is not a backup, however I was not expecting it will mess my local folders.

Did you also reset the client on the computer by removing the account and setting up a brand new sync? If you don’t do this, the client may look at the server and assume all files were deleted and then try to replicate those changes.

Indeed, it is what happens. Everything was looking fine (I have many different sync folders, and I have a annoying bug: each time I delete one, the app crash, so it took so long to redo everything), and I just connect. It should allow for a reset of the database or force the first sync in one direction.
On others softwares I used, either it detects a large and massive delete and ask for a confirm or put files somewhere in cache for some period, so even if it’s complicated at least you can recuperate quickly files.

Lesson for everyone: don’t work to late in night, will avoid big errors… :wink: