Windows client installation without rebooting

Hello,

i am wondering what dangers there are not rebooting after installing.

The client asks Would you like to close Windows Explorer, if not reboot will be required.

But it is required in both cases, doesn’t matter what you chose.

Will my computer burst in flames (ie, corrupt any files) if i refuse to reboot?

Windows 10.

Thanks.

1 Like

I really don’t understand why it’s such a big thing for people to reboot their computer evry once in while…

Anyways, I don’t know how high the chance of data corruption is if you don’t reboot, but probably very low, and no, your computer will certainly not go up in flames, but I would still recommend rebooting it if some software asks for it, just to be on the safe side. Also, you don’t have to do the update in the middle of the day immediately when the software promts you, just ignore the update message when it pops up and do the update at an off-peak time.

Other than that, this topic has been discussed here many times, and there are also long threads on GitHub, which I kindly ask you to find yourself using the search function if you want to learn more about the hows and whys of reboots after Nextcloud client updates.

1 Like

well for one, because it always updates just after reboot, so you have to reboot it twice. and the most annoying thing is the fact that it even says if you don’t kill Windows Explorer, reboot will be required, but it is required anyway, it’s just misleading/bug which adds to annoyance.

Yes, if I remember correctly, the, let’s say, suboptimal UX was part of the discussions as well, and if it still behaves the way you describe, then I agree that this probably could and should be handled better. However, since I am not a developer, I cannot tell you the exact reasons why it behaves the way it does.

ok thanks for the info.