Windows Client freezes after Server Update to v25

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): nextcloud:25.0.3-fpm
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 10.4
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx:alpine
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Bundled via Docker
Client version: 3.7.3

The issue you are facing:
Since I updated the server from v24 to v25 the client freezes when trying to upload specific files (eg. links). This also blocks the right-click menu from Win10 until the process is killed and also happens on multiple devices. Syncing folders without these files works as expected, disabling sync for affected folders prevents the crash.

Steps to replicate it:
Start client and try to upload the wrong files (eg. links) and the client freezes instantly

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
(nothing above & including warning, but this could be interesting as it crashed when trying to sync that folder)

[webdav] Fehlersuche: Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotFound: File with name //DokumenteDokumente could not be located at <<closure>>

0. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Tree.php line 78
    OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Directory->getChild("DokumenteDokumente")
 1. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 971
    Sabre\DAV\Tree->getNodeForPath("files/Malspherus/DokumenteDokumente")
 2. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 1662
    Sabre\DAV\Server->getPropertiesIteratorForPath("files/Malspherus/DokumenteDokumente", ["{http://ownclo ... "], 1)
 3. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 1647
    Sabre\DAV\Server->writeMultiStatus(Sabre\Xml\Writer ... ]}, Generator {}, false)
 4. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php line 346
    Sabre\DAV\Server->generateMultiStatus(Generator {}, false)
 5. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89
    Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPropFind(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
 6. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 472
    Sabre\DAV\Server->emit("method:PROPFIND", [Sabre\HTTP\Requ ... }])
 7. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253
    Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
 8. /var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321
    Sabre\DAV\Server->start()
 9. /var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 360
    Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
10. /var/www/html/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35
    OCA\DAV\Server->exec()
11. /var/www/html/remote.php line 171
    require_once("/var/www/html/a ... p")

PROPFIND /remote.php/dav/files/Malspherus/DokumenteDokumente
from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx by Malspherus at 2023-02-22T13:59:40+00:00

Thanks in advance!

hello @Malspherus welcome back in the forum :handshake:

I’m curious about this as “in general” the client is not expected to sync links, which is widely discussed since very first days but still not implemented:

https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/issues/250

and many more… in my installation I didn’t notice hang issues after update to NC25… but I’m running Docker/Apache with uses PHP 8.1 (I would recommend to not use PHP 7.4 anymore as it is not supported by PHP project anymore)

Hello wwe, thanks for your response! This could be part of the issue, I remember the client having .lnk on the ignore list, but when this issue startet I noticed it wasn’t anymore. I added it again and was able to sync a folder that I couldn’t sync before. But I still don’t understand why these entries could disappear unintentionally, does this list come from the server and was changed with the update? When I reset the list .lnk is missing again, and I also have some white lines without (readable) entries.

Any ideas for this?

I don’t have a reference handy but I know some file types hard-coded in the ignore list - likely .lnk is one of them. I have no idea how the list is maintained - maybe the list was overwritten at some point - intentionally or not…

I found the list under C:\Program Files\Nextcloud\sync-exclude.lst, but while there are some hard-coded entries as you suspected (or rather the file doesn’t contain them, but the client does and shows them greyed out), neither of both lists contain *.lnk. There are also some empty lines in this file, this matches with the empty line in the client settings.

I found some documentation under Appendix B: History and Architecture — Nextcloud Client Manual 3.7.4 documentation, but unfortunately not how this file is supposed to look directly after the setup or whether the server has any influence on it. Could you share how this looks for you?

I found this bug report which seems to describe my problem. In it there is a proposed workaround of disabling the upload bandwidth limit, this worked for me as well and I’m able to sync all folders again until this issue is fixed completely in an upcoming update. Thank you for your help @wwe!

1 Like