Why would someone want to install NextCloud on OpenMediaVault - Use cases?

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me understand what would be the reason or use case where some would want to install NextCloud on OpenMediaVault?

What would be the advantages or benefits of doing this?

Do NextCloud and OpenMediaVault not provide very similar functionality?

This is a genuine questions and I hope I get some sensible replies and learn something new.

Thanks in advance.

I haven’t worked with OMV, but I do quite a bit with FreeNAS, and Nextcloud on FreeNAS is also very popular. I’m sure I don’t know all the reasons for this (and I don’t use it that way myself; I deploy Nextcloud on a separate Internet-facing Linux server), but here are a few reasons I can think of:

• It’s a better way to access files when away from the LAN–both in terms of security and in terms of UI (compared to, say, exposing a SMB share to the Internet).
  • Nextcloud gives sharing options that just don’t exist with a SMB share, like sharing via an emailed link.
  • Nextcloud has a great many features available that aren’t part of a NAS installation (think Calendar, Talk, etc.)
  • With the Nextcloud mobile apps, it will automate backing up photos from your phone(s)

I’m sure there are others, but these are what come to my mind at the moment.