Why is a new installation (18.0.0) not delivered completely/correctly out of the box?

Although I have installed nextcloud-hub 18.0.0 from scratch, I get the messages below immediately.
My provider does not allow root access. I cannot execute command line commands. So I would have to fumble with SQL commands in the database.

My question: Why is a new installation not delivered completely/correctly out of the box?

Regards, Kallle

Some indexes are missing from the database. Due to the fact that adding indexes to large tables can take some time, they were not created automatically. By executing “occ db: add-missing-indices”, the missing indexes can be added manually while the instance is still running. After the indexes are added, queries to the tables are usually faster.

Missing index "calendarobject_calid_index" in the table "oc_calendarobjects_props".
Missing index "schedulobj_principuri_index" in the table "oc_schedulingobjects".

Some columns in the database are missing a conversion to big int. Due to the fact that changing column types for large tables can take some time, they have not been changed automatically. By executing “occ db: convert-filecache-bigint” these pending changes can be applied manually. This operation must be performed while the instance is offline. For more details, see the related documentation page.

mounts.storage_id
mounts.root_id
mounts.mount_id

Thing is that some actions like modifing db would take a long time on huge installations.
@juliushaertl Remember our discussion in Berlin :wink:

Some actions, such as changing db, would take a long time in large installations.
@juliushaertl Remember our discussion in Berlin

But if I install Nextcloud (or Nextcloud Hub) completely NEW, it is not a BIG installation, but a completely empty system. A new / fresh database has no size yet.

Since I am not able to make these changes afterwards and since this ingenious OCC Web is no longer available for the current Nextcloud versions: Can I simply ignore these DB notes in the long run? Or will something go wrong at some point?

What does it mean: “Remember our discussion in Berlin”? Do you have a link?

2 Likes

Ok, my comment was about upgrades. My fault.

That sentence was addressed to the mentioned person, not you :slight_smile:

Is that true? EDIT: Can’t see a hint in docs: How to upgrade — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation
AFAIK I always run those commands while all services are up and outside of maintenance mode. Probably with maintenance mode and even webserver down it is safest, especially if it takes very long, but not required. And: maintenance mode can be applied via occ as well without further server access.

On fresh installs of course those could be done as internal step, but there are cases where you want to import an old database but the install/migration steps still done, then again the db commands can lead to hang.

Good news for all running their NC at a Shared Hosting Service.

Contacted the author of OCC Web some days ago and here we go:

https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/occweb

Ready for NC18.

Give it a try!

See How to use occ commands on a Shared Hosting without SSH access as well.

2 Likes

Thanks alot, rakekniven! I’m excited! It works smoothly.

1 Like