Why does a major Update always make trouble?

Hello,

I am not a IT professional. So my questions.

With update from 19 to 20 the web-updater crushes my installation. This was also the issue comming from 18 to 19.
So on both updates I had to run the setup-nextcloud script to set it up new.

But now i get reports to run OCC commands to fix keys like

“occ db:add-missing-indices”
“occ db:add-missing-primary-keys”

This does not work for my hosted setup!

Would it not be better also to report here the SQL script to run this on DB to make things easy?
Does anybody have a script to run within PHPMyadmin?

Best Regards,

Martin

UPDATE

meanwhile i fixed it with an long ago deprecated app (wow, very professional): OCCWEB A Big THANK YOU to ADPHI (the maker of OCCWEB).

For more Info see https://git.adphi.net/adphi/occweb (!)

Hello Martin,

sorry to hear it. I have updated two NC last three or four major update without that trouble.
The reason why the script do not do it automatic is, in some bigger instances it could be result in a long downtime/maintenance, until all work is done.
But right, there should be a solution for hosted NCs. But the app ossweb still works for a lot of commands.

what exactly did you want to let us know?

That you’re supersmart and saving money on shared hosters while being able to search the forum for a solution on a problem that won’t exist if you’d selfhost or rent a real server?

1 Like

Hello JimmyKater,

well, when the update of major versions regulary fails for hosted installations: what are the plans for NC to avoid this in future?

Furthermore: when the only solution for repair of such issue is the use an obsolete/deprecated third party app (OCCWEB), what shall we use in future versions (what are your plans/instructions)?

Perhaps NC-Team can collaborate with ADPHI to bring his OCCWEB functionality into main apps during installation/update, to make things easy for us, your customers.

Best Regards,

Martin

Ummm… NC never claimed that it was made for shared hostings. In the contrary. The setup it pretty complex (even if it looks/feels easy). It’s NOT recommended installing it to a shared hoster (and a good part of the problems here on the forum would deal about shared hosters not allowing this and setting up that differently etc). So why would NC plan trying to avoid mandatory changes such as the ones you mentioned?
the goal is: having the best possible code for the moment.

There has been discussions up and down the forum about that. If you wouldn’t mind searching yourself for it… you might find that there are some good reasons on giving up on that 3rd party project (even the main devs themselves made some comments about it on their gitgub-propject)

right. Perhaps yes. Perhaps no. But the best thing about NC is: it’s community-driven. So make yourself heard and be part of the development. Don’t shy away - and if you think you won’t be ready or capable doing such a thing ask for help and most prolly you’ll be helped by the core devs. :wink:

100% agree with Martin.

I guess it depends on who Nextcloud is targeting as its audience/customers. I’m fed up with getting locked into Google, O365, Dropbox etc for myself and my family and am looking for a very cost effective solution and hence use shared hosting. I think your responses indicate that customers like Martin and I are not important as part of Nextcloud’s future? Or am I interpreting your comments incorrectly.

i think you really do.
All I said was: NC wasn’t initially made for being used on shared hosters (I mean there ARE alternatives… like a Raspberry Pi e.g. roundabout $50 (or less, mine was $35) and you’ll have your own thing running perfectly - what’s your monthly plan on your shared hoster? It’s up to you to doing the calculation). And tried to explain why that is.
But I am no fortuneteller and thus can’t look into the future. So who knows what the future will bring? I guess only time will tell.

1 Like

Other question: What are the shared hosters doing to fix these problems? What plans do the shared hosters have? Does your shared hoster meet the requirements to install Nextcloud?
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

OCCWEB is not the solution, but “nice to have”.
Here is described how to use the OCC commands:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html?highlight=occ

For this you need an ssh access to your shared hosting. Do you have it? If not, why doesn’t the shared hoster offer it?

Funny. Nextcloud is free of charge. But you pay your shared hoster. You get what you pay for. So if your shared hosting is not enough to run Nextcloud, then rethink your shared hosting plan.

I myself run Nextcloud on a shared host, but I am aware of the limitations of shared hosting. Since NC 20, the web updater no longer works for me. And now? Then I just do the update manually. This is described here:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html?highlight=update

That also works. It just takes a little more time and knowledge. If you don’t have the time and knowledge, then rethink your shared host plan.

It’s as simple as that.

4 Likes

Hello, thank you for all the hints (I already know).

I am using NC since Ownclud times together with Wordpress.

Both, NC & Wordpress, have common properties:

• coded purely in PHP
  • using a Database (here MYSQL)

As both are coded in PHP I expect they work well in any hosted account (generic programming).
In my case I have SSH but not with SUDO, so most examples does not work for me. Even pure OCC commands do not work, so I use OCCWEB for this.

But as both - Wordpress & NC - are using the same Database-Account but different Database, Wordpress does never crashes during any Update over years, NC does!

So I do not think this belongs to the hosting System.

If I understand the error explainations right, the timing of update procedure fails on time consuming database updates/inserts.

@JimmyKater
My Hint for this:
Is it possible to fix this by introducing a delay Flag within config.php (that can be set via SFTP edit)? Users with poor system performance , like me, can set this Flag, wheras others my ommit/comment-out this.
With this Flag set, some steps of the update procedures could plan more time between major DB update steps to finalize their task in a secure way.

Best regards an keep save all,

Martin

Thanks for your thoughful hint.
I mean NC is aware of the problems with their download servers and are working on a CDN-Solution afaik. So maybe no more flags needed.