Which missing apps and features do you want in Nextcloud?

These are my current opinions on the state of apps in nextcloud

Would love to see

1. A Wiki - I’m currently using simplesamlphp to sorta use dokuwiki in Nextcloud with External sites but it’s still not 100%.
  2. Timesheets - A very simple timesheets app would be amazing. Something simple like:

1. Wallabag - Ages ago there was talk about some collaboration between nextcloud and wallabag. I would love to see a wallabag app one day.
  2. A matrix front end - It would be great to have a Slack alternative built into nextcloud, and seeing as matrix looks like it will replace xmpp in the long run that would be the direction to build in.
  3. SSO - I don’t know if this is ideal but it would be nice to use nextcloud as and SSO server, think simplesamlphp built into nextcloud. That way you could bootstrap many projects into nextcloud with relative ease, especially if you use LDAP as the authentication backend on nextcloud.

Exists but Needs further love and care

• Mail - The current nextcloud mail app is still far away from being usable as a daily driver. Thankfully there is still a fair amount of work being done so fingers crossed.
  • News - The nextcloud news app feels unfinished and unloved, specifically the Android app just isn’t comfortable to use. I ended up switching back to Tiny Tiny RSS even if I don’t have an auto login working yet mainly because it’s more feature rich and the android app is light years ahead of the nextcloud news app.
  • Notes - It’s markup, but it’s not at the same time. The way the notes app sorta allows formatting but doesn’t is confusing and annoying, I just switched to .md files and the markdown editor app. Ideally it would open in preview mode and then you could switch to editor but it’s still a nicer experience than the notes app as it renders properly and has folders.
  • PicoCMS - I haven’t managed to get it working yet I encountered the same bug as described here
5 Likes

Regarding the PicoCMS, it will get some love soon™, just overwhelmed by some other works. Note, that I am still fine of any help that the community can provide !

4 Likes

Tagspaces WebDav Edition could make a great Nextcloud app. With some bug fixes and hopeful integrations, it could serve as an excellent drop-in replacement for Nextcloud Files, Gallery, Notes, and Markdown Editor.

Nextcloud Wires hopes to add IoT integration with thousands of other apps through platforms such as IFTTT. It is still in the early planning stages — help appreciated!

Early draft of an iOS bookmarks app, but no release.

Tagspaces could be awesome, but I’d need a setting to turn off the “save the tags in the filename” stuff.

And I’d also need the standalone versions to do webdav too for syncing. Old iphones and webapps just don’t play well together. If I had those two things, it’d be as near perfect as anything could be.

I don’t know whether to even request this, the philosophy of the project seems to reject cloud-syncing last time I read what the author wrote on the subject. Or am I misremembering?

Tagspaces could be awesome, but I’d need a setting to turn off the “save the tags in the filename” stuff.

See issue #646 on allowing auto-creation of tags to be optional and/or turned off.

And I’d also need the standalone versions to do webdav too for syncing. Old iphones and webapps just don’t play well together. If I had those two things, it’d be as near perfect as anything could be.

I don’t know whether to even request this, the philosophy of the project seems to reject cloud-syncing last time I read what the author wrote on the subject. Or am I misremembering?

Nothing wrong with submitting a friendly feature request for clients to support WebDav. Please do and thanks for your thoughts.

Edit: added some more apps and wanted features to previous post

A really small feature I’d like to see is the option to sort files by upload date.

10 Likes

Would like to see notes integrated in the Android Nextcloud app. Notes are a core functionality that should be part of the app.

3 Likes

@mlsxlist There is a Nextcloud Notes app… It would be great to attach notes to any file rather than just comments. Is that what you meant?

+1 for wiki!

I’m looking for a solution for my instances.
I need an app or any other solution for my costumers required to accept terms and conditions before use the cloud, and after them accept send to me a signed copy off them.

I’ve seen in another post how change the first run wizard, but I don’t want to change anything, because after this it’s possible to update and also I don’t have any copy of the accepted terms.

Any idea??
Thanks for all

What’s needed most urgently is rock solid no non-sense sync, preferably by using syncthing as the backend as discussed here:

I’ve installed and given up on ownCloud / Nextcloud multiple times simply because the sync let me down, let’s get this right first and then add more awesomeness on top of it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

+1 for the Syncthing integration as a possible back end, especially to have delta-sync

If it helps, I could increase the bounty or pay something to the developers / team directly to get this Syncthing integration going…

3 Likes

@GreenWater if it helps, I could increase the bounty or pay something to the developers / team directly to get this Syncthing integration going…

That might be what we have to do to move this forward.

@Nextcloudable What’s needed most urgently is rock solid no non-sense sync, preferably by using syncthing as the backend

Syncthing could also solve the massive desire for LAN Sync in Nextcloud.
This is also being actively discussed here on the Syncthing Discourse Forum.
Also discussed in this thread on Syncthing + Owncloud