Which is better for an HP laptop, SSD or HDD?

Product: HP Notebook 15s-Fq1022na

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

I want to go for SSD and so selected Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5 Inch 7mm for my laptop from BuyKingston.

What’s your take on this?

Another Operating System :wink:

In 2021: SSD.

And if money does matter:
You can better buy a SSD with less space than a bigger HDD.
You can move all your data to your Nextcloud :wink:

In 2021 soon 2022 there is really only one reasonable answer to this question. The differences in performance are huge. But with the prices nowadays I would buy at least 500GB. SSDs from 500GB upwards usually have slightly better performance than the smaller ones and especially cheaper SSDs should not be filled completely. Otherwise, the wear leveling might not work properly anymore, which can affect the performance and the lifespan of the SSD. But of course, if you mainly store your data on external media or servers, 240GB can still be big enough.

Hello,

If you may please check the configuration of this system model info, you may notice, this laptop comes with a 256GB SSD under M.2 2280 interface.

Refer here → HP Notebook 15s-fq1022na Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I am unable to understand as why are your down grading to a 240GB SATA interface 2.5inch drive?

As per the model number mentioned, your system already comes with a fast SSD in fastest M.2 interface.

If you plan any upgrade, the HDD option is questionable since the mentioned model laptop chassis doesn’t come with any default place holder for 2.5inch drives. Quick search in Google may give you few internal pictures of this laptop chassis and there isn’t any default option for slotting a HDD.

So if you really have to upgrade, consider buying a good 500GB or better M.2 NVMe SSD drive. Otherwise, your system already comes with a good M.2 SSD

Thanks.

For a laptop that is not stationary, the HDD is more sensitive to mechanical shocks and vibration, so on top of the speed that counts for the SSD. However, I’d do a regular backup on some HDD.