Where previews stored from an SMB share?

Hey,

Question I couldn’t find an answer for. If I installed AIO in a VM and pointed an SMB share as external storage with a bunch of pictures. Where the generated preview files will live? Are they gonna leave somewhere inside my Nextcloud AIO VM or are they gonna be generated somewher near the original files on the SMB share?
I have a terrabyte of jpg and HEIC files and would like to avoide incorporating them into my VMs virtual drive. But if the generated previews will live inside the VM somewhere I need to account for their storage needs.

I tried to figure out where are they by ssh-ing into the VM, but couldn’t find them.

Thanks!

If you use the external storage app, preview files will be stored inside the VM unless you configure the datadir to be completely located on the smb-share. See GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: The official Nextcloud installation method. Provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.

They should usually be stored in $NEXTCLOUD_DATADIR/appdata_*/previews inside the VM unless you configure the datadir as seen above.

Sorry i do not use Nextcloud AIO. But i think the answer of your question is where is your datadirectory is located. There are some possibilities. Read also this. The answer was also from @szaimen . :wink:

1 Like