Where are your Git repositories to help?

Thanks for all your patience and help! And let us know if you’re interested in joining the Nextcloud organisation on Github!

In which way should we do this? Mail, simply this post :slight_smile:

Good point. Just send me a private message. That probably works best. If that doesn’t work just drop by in #nextcloud-dev on Freenode.

Anyhow you should have got your invite :slight_smile:

Invite worked. Jan invited me earlier today but then the invite got revoked?!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

While I hear the open source argument in favor of gitlab, IMHO this is outweighted by the “low entry barrier” and “smooth transition from oC to NC” one in favor of github.
The question is : which of these two options better help Nextcloud achieve its goals ?

Also there is the question of all the existing open issues and pull requests.
Wouldn’t it be easier to migrate these to a new github repo rather than a gitlab one ? if migrating those is considered at all of course.

1 Like

I am not sure how easy it is to import these to another github repo/org. In Gitlab that’s 5 mins of work most likely. http://docs.gitlab.com/ce/workflow/importing/import_projects_from_github.html

1 Like

Hope the community contribution is more valued.
I will move over to next cloud, good thing you have gone that step and parted ways with owncloud.
I once contributed a async loading of the thumbnails for the android app, however my merge request was somewhat ignored
 :frowning:

b.t.w. how to join the new GitHub Group? Would be nice if you could add me ( Spacefish )

1 Like

In general – we sure considered GitLab, and as we are all very eager free & open source software folks we would really like to use it. However at this point we think Github is more fit for building a community with a very low barrier to entry. This is especially important in open source, as it’s difficult enough for people to »put themselves out there« as it is. And since many people are on Github already, they don’t need to sign up anywhere else.

We want to improve a lot here. For Android specifically I’m thinking that @Andy and @tobiasKaminsky (he’s not on here yet) should lead development. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the trust and yes, I would love to lead the Android app development :slight_smile:
@Spacefish Getting PRs merged and doing reviews / giving valuable feedback/reviews is one of the main issues Nextcloud is addressing. See also the C4 discussion topic. So ignoring people’s PRs shouldn’t be happening with Nextcloud. So the pace of development and releases should only depends o n the teams capacity to do so which in terms of contributors who are willing to help out with merging and reviewing PRs is: The more the merrier :smiley:

2 Likes

So @tobiasKaminsky is finally here too – I’ll mail you both @tobiasKaminsky and @Andy about the Android stuff later. :slight_smile: You’re an awesome team. :slight_smile:

Great, looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

Btw @Andy, @tobiasKaminsky and anyone interested, join #nextcloud-dev and #nextcloud-mobile on IRC :wink: